Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Frustratedmum

Re: Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by Frustratedmum »

Yes, we just found out today from his HT, other 2 scores were 120 somethings, DH told me before he rushed out the door, can't remember exactly. DS's teachers often last year and this year assess his work at level 5c-a but the poor boy just doesn't seem able to apply it in test situations :-( I am very much assuming this is the reason for the HTA success as they could prove his usual working standard?
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Wow sounds like a fab head! I am unsure if mine has done a thing.....head is off sick and deputy covering....are you in kent at all......x
dartmum2

Post by dartmum2 »

You may need to consider carefully the over-subscription criteria this year.

Although you are so near DGGS they have changed their admissions criteria for 2015. There is now more focus on scores as there are only 100 spaces reserved for girls from Dartford and parishes this year. If more than 100 girls from this catchment apply scores come into play, so theoretically those Dartford area girls with very low passes could miss out on places anyway. It might be worth talking to the admissions department at DGGS though.

For WGGS there is a 1.5 mile priority inner catchment area (which you may be in), so high scores may be less of an issue.

Also, it might also be worth finding out the statistics on how many appeals have been successful for both the schools in previous years ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Frustratedmum wrote:Yes, we just found out today from his HT, other 2 scores were 120 somethings, DH told me before he rushed out the door, can't remember exactly. DS's teachers often last year and this year assess his work at level 5c-a but the poor boy just doesn't seem able to apply it in test situations :-( I am very much assuming this is the reason for the HTA success as they could prove his usual working standard?

Well your headteacher sounds lovely. Well done her / him.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

dartmum2 wrote:You may need to consider carefully the over-subscription criteria this year.

Although you are so near DGGS they have changed their admissions criteria for 2015. There is now more focus on scores as there are only 100 spaces reserved for girls from Dartford and parishes this year. If more than 100 girls from this catchment apply scores come into play, so theoretically those Dartford area girls with very low passes could miss out on places anyway. It might be worth talking to the admissions department at DGGS though.

For WGGS there is a 1.5 mile priority inner catchment area (which you may be in), so high scores may be less of an issue.

Also, it might also be worth finding out the statistics on how many appeals have been successful for both the schools in previous years ...
.Thanks. ...yes I see it's changed at Dggs......if she gets in on appeal....cud go on waiting list? New to this so thanks for all info...
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Yes, very grateful that he's such a good HT, I now think something of a miracle worker ;-) Yes, we're in Kent.Mind you, we're hoping for a Medway school that his siblings attend, he did just pass Medway, again, a shocking result on the writing but he did pass that on his own merit.
I do really feel for you with the upset at the school re.the head situation, sounds like it may well be unlikely they appealed on your DC 's behalf? It's still well worth a try imho as you just never know. This site is an amazing place for help and information, study it over the next few months it'll help no end!
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thanks so much xx
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

dartmum2 wrote:
Does anyone know what a low score would be? We live in Dartford anf my daughter's score was 357.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Has the time for headteacher appeal passed? So too late to go down this route? Thanks
dartmum2

Post by dartmum2 »

MJMoore - There is no way of knowing really at the moment - I may be being quite pessimistic in my assessment of the impact of the new admission rules for DGGS - but if you look at the school ombudsman's adjudication on the recent appeal regarding the changes to the admissions criteria there is some interesting information on it. (DGGS provided evidence to say that there would be no great changes to the number of Dartford girls getting in. It all boils down to how many Dartford girls have passed this year and go on to put DGGS on their application forms. But your daughter got a good score, so I wouldn't worry to much...