Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 pm
Posts: 2
I'm starting to get nervous with just over a week to go. Does anyone know the cut off for DGGS yet, in county and out of county?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:05 pm
Posts: 5625
Location: Reading
I doubt that will be made public until allocations day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 pm
Posts: 7285
Billbob wrote:
I'm starting to get nervous with just over a week to go. Does anyone know the cut off for DGGS yet, in county and out of county?


I'm afraid you are going to have to wait until March 1st for this info. If it was released before then applicants would be able to work out / assume which school they had been allocated before national allocations day :?

_________________
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 pm
Posts: 382
Location: Bexleyheath
I am also very nervous. Does anyone know what the allocations team actually do? They have so many applications to sift through. How do they manage? What will be the distance cut off for schools like wilmington? I have so many questions and cannot wait for this to be all over. Good luck all !!

Decided not to apply for any indies this year. A few years ago, the indies helped ease the wait as we had a number of offers in February which helped ease the waiting time till March.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 am
Posts: 2425
We've waited so long, what is a few more days? They'll soon be over. Oh, remember that every year a lucky parent receives the news early courtesy of their headteacher, who presumably doesn't know they have to keep it quiet until Allocation day!

Your question is partially answered here in this thread. Start reading facial expressions from Thursday!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49749


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 4940
lefol wrote:
I am also very nervous. Does anyone know what the allocations team actually do? They have so many applications to sift through. How do they manage? What will be the distance cut off for schools like wilmington? I have so many questions and cannot wait for this to be all over. Good luck all !!

Decided not to apply for any indies this year. A few years ago, the indies helped ease the wait as we had a number of offers in February which helped ease the waiting time till March.


I am fairly confident that the allocations are actually done by computer...I don't think admissions sit there shuffling bits of paper - however, every year there are problems with some allocations (where people should have been offered a place but don't get one due to some sort of error) and that is where allocations come into their own.

Treasure this time - whilst you hope for good news, for every parent who has good news, many others won't - during this time you still have hope - after March 1st you will have a definitive one way or the other.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 am
Posts: 2425
+1. After 1st of March, yet another type of anxious wait can ensue, with waiting lists and appeals. Let's enjoy this time!
Salsa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8893
kenyancowgirl wrote:
lefol wrote:
I am also very nervous. Does anyone know what the allocations team actually do? They have so many applications to sift through. How do they manage? What will be the distance cut off for schools like wilmington? I have so many questions and cannot wait for this to be all over. Good luck all !!

Decided not to apply for any indies this year. A few years ago, the indies helped ease the wait as we had a number of offers in February which helped ease the waiting time till March.


I am fairly confident that the allocations are actually done by computer...I don't think admissions sit there shuffling bits of paper - however, every year there are problems with some allocations (where people should have been offered a place but don't get one due to some sort of error) and that is where allocations come into their own.

Treasure this time - whilst you hope for good news, for every parent who has good news, many others won't - during this time you still have hope - after March 1st you will have a definitive one way or the other.


In the film about the Birmingham allocations from some years ago, they have a algorithm which allocates the places according to criteria for each child. Have a long on YT - it is called Big School Lottery, however have to remember that it was made when the results of 11 plus did not come out before March 1st

And yes there are always some glitches - we get people posting their situation and it is clear from other info that they have not been given the school they should have. These are mainly distance related and cross county border issues. They are encourage to contact allocations who are great at sorting things out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 pm
Posts: 382
Location: Bexleyheath
I am also confused as to how they calculate distances, ordinance survey, crow flies etc. I have tried my best mate Google but she gives me too many options to choose from.

The time really does go quickly tho. Six years ago, I was stressing about DS1 and now only worried about when he will switch off his phone to focus on sixth form. DS2 easier and glad this is now the end of the eleven lis process.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 8054
Location: Essex
If you look at the secondary school admissions information for the relevant LEA, or at the details for the individual schools, under the 'distance' criterion it should tell you how the distance is calculated. (For fully selective schools, distance may only be a tiebreaker).

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MummyMinion and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018