WOK annexe, how will it work?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chimneys

Re: WOK annexe, how will it work?

Post by chimneys »

Thanks and very much agree with your final paragraph!

On top of the 6th form point, I presume there was no mention of the fact (I think) that the Grammar Annex has been designed to accommodate 6 classes of 30 per year, and if so, what will happen to the half of the school that wont be used? Surely it wouldn't be built in phases?
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

No Sorry no mention at all. Reference was just given to year 7 intake for 2016/17.

I didn't get the impression ( i may be wrong) that the school were being evasive either, i just don't think its all been planned through.

Maybe they are still hoping a boys grammar will come in with them and decisions will be made jointly. I hope so too.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't see how they can have got planning permission and Secretary of State permission for an annex nor financial commitment to he building f there's nothing more than a back of a fag packet to explain to others.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

According to WoK's Chair of Governors, quoted somewhere today (too tired: it was either a BBC report or one of the broadsheets), the governors only learned that approval for the annexe had been granted when it was leaked and reported in the media!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Skinners has apparently said it's considering providing places for boys in the Sevenoaks annex. How would that work as they are selective by score? Or with 3 extra classes and priority to West Kent would the cut-off score be around the Kent pass mark anyhow? And how can they run an annex with plans based on a mixed school be operated as two single sex annexes? Does it mean back to the drawing board with the plans if this turns out to be an option? In which case how can it open in 2017?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Skinners' School in the annexe would be wonderful for Sevenoaks District boys, and the management team already have the experience of developing Skinners' Academy.

It's a surprise though, given that it was Judd that recently accommodated KCC by changing admissions policy in favour of West Kent boys, albeit still on a super-selective basis. I can't see Skinners' getting the go-ahead for a Sevenoaks annexe without doing likewise; and they are the farthest from the Sevenoaks annexe of the three Tonbridge/T Wells boys' grammars.

TWGSB is the school with the most cramped environment and the most lacking in facilities. I would have thought they had the most to gain by taking on the annexe challenge, since additional facilities, including extra playing fields and a sports centre would benefit existing boys - assuming a similar minibus arrangement to WoK for movement between sites.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What about the bulk of Sevenoaks boys who couldn't get in if Skinners remained superselective though? Or do you think they're just going to flood the market with grammar places so that the superselectives are no longer superselective in reality?

Have you read anything anywere about WoK minibus arrangements? Remember the initial prosals by WoK and Invicta were published on the web for a while but this time round it's all a bit secret squirrel. Worth an FOI from someone perhaps?

Intriguigingly TGS has a link on its website now called "consultation on 2017 admissions policy" but when clicked it says "coming soon". Perhas they're suddenly all going to go mixed at once to balance things out!
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

chimera-ma wrote:TWGSB is the school with the most cramped environment and the most lacking in facilities. I would have thought they had the most to gain by taking on the annexe challenge, since additional facilities, including extra playing fields and a sports centre would benefit existing boys - assuming a similar minibus arrangement to WoK for movement between sites.
Further to the above, I note that 'Latest News' on the TWGSB website comments on speculation about Sevenoaks Annexe involvement, to say there is no involvement at present, but adds:
Should the local authority make a formal approach to the school we would wish to discuss the options however the provision for pupils on this site [Tunbridge Wells campus] remains our priority.
Similar comment is made in the Headteacher's Half Term Newsletter.

I don't imagine we'll hear much more from either Skinners' or TWGSB while preliminary talks take place, or while the judicial review window remains open on the Secretary of State's decision to approve the WoK annexe, but there certainly seems some further impetus now on the boys' side.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

There's an almost identical posting to the TWGSB one on the Judd website...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe all three of them will have a form each in Sevenoaks!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now