Kent Sept 2016 takers - how is it going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Kent Sept 2016 takers - how is it going?

Post by mystery »

Thank you. That's really useful. It looks like they sorted the problem they had the previous year with the English paper being "too easy".
woody3269

Post by woody3269 »

I'm leaving it a bit late but could you please let me know the best place to buy the GL assessment papers for English ? Thank you!
salsa

Post by salsa »

They are sold everywhere, including the shop on this site.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

We are revisiting the GL papers for the next couple of weeks and just using the 10 minute test books to plug gaps (of which there are a few!). Also sitting for Bexley so doing quite a bit of cloze. Doing an hour most days and trying to step up the timing which is ds biggest problem. I feel like we have run out of time despite starting preparations last summer!
Ment

Post by Ment »

Hi,
Dd is sitting Kent and Medway and Diying it . We have been trudging along somedays better than others, but I think both dd and I are getting a bit bored now . We do a single paper most days or two 30 min sessions .We did have a break two weeks back .

Can someone tell me where I can find some -- what is the number number of boxes/cubes/shapes withing a bigger box/cube/shape type of spatial reasoning questions .

All the best , not long now, all that hard work lol.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Just realised that ds is back at school next week so this week is really our final push for preparation. It's been such a rollercoaster and we are both quite exhausted. Ds has been doing fairly well in our home prep and mocks but who knows how it will go on the day! Timing and NVR are still issues but at this late stage I can't see how we can overcome that. I'm hoping (clutching at straws!) that the type of nvr ds is okay at, will come up.

Wishing everyone the very best of luck and this forum has been great for information and support.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Grgygirl don't panic. Bear in mind the standard for Bexley and Kent is not so very high. 50 to 55% for Bexley depending on standardisation. If you are after a superselective place - yes it is different. From my experience last year those who passed Bexley also passed Kent as the latter whilst time pressured had a lower threshold for a pass. I know some who didn't pass Bexley but did pass Kent and are very happy with the result. It sounds like you are on track and barring any catastrophe all will be well and you will have some marvellous choices by the time you come to submit your CAF.

We didn't do any more practice once DD was back at school last Sept. So I appreciate the sense of impending closure on practice. That is a good thing. DCs getting tired and overwrought is not a good thing. Que sera sera. Best of luck.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Many thanks PWF, I've followed your posts avidly over the last year as we are in a similar position to the one you were in and they have been helpful. Unfortunately ds does need high scores to be in with a chance of a Bexley or Kent place as we are out of County for both. I'm also considering speculative Indie applications, just on the off-chance one of the big ones might be able to give us an 80% discount if ds does well :lol: Highly unlikely, I know, but as I said, i'm clutching at straws at this stage!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Bexley you can be out of county but still in distance if that makes sense. Some schools come out 8 miles or more regardless of borough. To get into top 180 means top 3% based on the over 5,500 who sat last year. We were in distance so DD just needed a pass but Townley was our back up and we did get the superselective. Kent for OOC is tough but not insurmountable. Good luck. X
stuffy

Post by stuffy »

It's all starting to get a bit much now, poor DD is starting to not do very well in the GL (averaging 62%) running out of time, over thinking things and I feel really bad as we are just stressing. Finding big gaps of knowledge in the comprehension/verbal stuff does anyone know is there any code questions likely to come up?

Need it all over now