Which school to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Priyavish

Which school to choose?

Post by Priyavish »

My daughter is going to Year 5 and will be taking the 11 plus in Sep 2018. We live in Hartley, Longfield. Could anyone suggest the list of grammar schools that we could consider near our place? We are also ready to take medway exams too if required.
ToadMum

Re: Which school to choose?

Post by ToadMum »

Priyavish wrote:My daughter is going to Year 5 and will be taking the 11 plus in Sep 2018. We live in Hartley, Longfield. Could anyone suggest the list of grammar schools that we could consider near our place? We are also ready to take medway exams too if required.
The best thing to do would be to look at the appropriate section section of your local authority's website (And the Medway one) for the list of schools in your area and have a look at each school's website for its admissions criteria. I understand that most of the Kent grammar schools admit on a pass and then oversubscription criteria such as distance, although a few take score into consideration.

http://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.SchoolSe ... fault.aspx

The 'schools near me' search does work - i put in my old postcode in South East London and it obliged huh a list of Kent schools within chosen radius :) .

http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/scho ... ments-2018
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Many of the Kent schools take on defined parishes as where there are overlaps they will give priority to some areas without obvious school coverage so it isn't always as simple as distance, but can be. ToadMum's starting points are good ones.

Also whilst many Kent grammars go on just a pass, some don't. Dartford girls' grammar may be an option for you but it goes on score. Hartley is one of the defined parishes in their admission criteria so you would be considered as in-county and need a good score but not as stupendous as those outside of the defined parishes.

Mayfield grammar I don't know a huge amount about except having read the odd post and friend of a friend's DD goes there. They have different categories of admission and a high up category is postcode, one of which seems to be the Hartley DA3 postcode, DA1 & DA2 are in a lower category. I gather you can sit two tests, the Kent test as well as the school's own test, the latter being more a back up rather than an instead of the Kent test.
Priyavish

Post by Priyavish »

Thank you very much ToadMum & Fiona
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now