Are optional ks2 results reflection of future 11+ success?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

re 'marking the work with what they had'

yes unfortunately this is what would happen, although there may be a separate teaher assessment mark.

I have marked several qca tests where I knew that the child was far more capable than teh result showed.

Good readers can be reluctant writers.

Sometimes writing each sentence in a different colour helps.

Get the pupil to set a target for how much they are going to write and arranging a reward if they consistently meet teh target

HAs he been assessed for specific learning difficulties. I was thinking of a girl I taught who was an excellent readerr but could not break words down in order to spell them.

What about alternative methods of recording stories etc. I have often got pupils to tell their story and recorded it. An adult could then type it up.

There is also some good software available, Clicker springs to mind. The writing down then doesn't impede the flow of the story telling.

It may be worth asking to see the school Senco and discussing the difficulties.
mum of twins

Post by mum of twins »

thanks to all for replies. It was senco teacher at school or identified his reading ability, and his spelling ability he always gets his spellings correct so now the school give him more challenging words to learn.
With regards to dad visiting i do now not tell them he is not turning up albeit on recently which is just as well as the man has done it to us twice again (although children do not know this).
My son just seems to have a problem with thinking up stories and writing them down - he gets writers block i suppose any more ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks once again for all the replies all greatfully received.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I cannot stress enough how good the following book is:

How to Help Your Child Read and Write by Dr Dominic Wyse
************** It is not a crazy American book. It is a very common sense English book by a real expert, with lots of ideas you can easily take on board. It also helps you understand why some children who are good at English may be turned off by some KS1 and KS2 English work, and how the SATs may not be measuring what you think they measure.

Good luck!

Removed by a moderator, breaks forum rules on advertising.
best-wishes

Post by best-wishes »

mum of twins wrote:My son just seems to have a problem with thinking up stories and writing them down - he gets writers block i suppose any more ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks once again for all the replies all greatfully received.
Take an existing short, very short story and ask him to re-write, partially, using his own characters and ideas, any changes he makes are to be praised, "we" are currently working on a plan to "simulate" creative writing with our DS.

Damm, Removed by a moderator, breaks forum rules on advertising, who knows that might have helped my kid.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Don't worry, nothing has been removed that will stop you finding it on a well known internet book retailer and having it delivered by this Friday if you order it today!! The more upsetting thing is that I have lost my copy.

A PM has been forwarded to you explaining the position.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now