Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shirley23

Re: Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Post by shirley23 »

anyone else go to the open evening last night.
most uninspiring one I've been to so far. I asked my little one what she thought after getting back to the car;
the teachers speeches were boring and not enthusiastic
during the tour the teachers in the room didn't see bothered, they were just talking with each other.
dad, why did the keep saying they are not and exam factory all the time...
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

Nkib wrote:All I would say following the open evening last night is that TOGS is a very happy school with happy pupils - we were very impressed. The grounds had an almost uni campus feel too: different, quirky , fun .
We too felt the same about TOGS. It’s a lovely school.
We are slightly more inclined toward NW at the moment, although her NW score would have given her a place in previous years, I’m worried PP places will push the cutoffs higher.

Looks like we have 50-50 chances with both our top choices. A very stressful wait until March now!
Isaac73

Post by Isaac73 »

Shirley23 we had a similarly underwhelming experience visits to another selective girl's' school. They are strange snapshots these open events!

We got a really good vibe at Tonbridge. The girls seem bubbly with each other, our guide was full of personality (entertaining/enthusiastic and had a good rapport with her teachers). I quizzed a few on homework and of course it exists (!) but they genuinely seemed ok with the workload. The teachers we chatted to seemed very polite and helpful and the new sports facilities are pretty impressive if that's your thing! I've been before but there wasn't enough time to see everything as we aren't local -my husband came after work saw the talk and then had to race around by 8ish. The talks/speeches all seem similar wherever -my favourite so far was at a local comp last year! Anyway, my daughter loved it last night, we are borderline prob though with our mark.
shirley23

Post by shirley23 »

Contrasting experience Isaac, fair enough.

WOK we had the experience you had so i guess its a bit of a lottery.

Best open day I've experienced this year was actually Kent College but that of course is another ball game altogether. :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

shirley23 wrote:Best open day I've experienced this year was actually Kent College but that of course is another ball game altogether. :lol:
Now you really are comparing apples and pears. Girls independent day/boarding school set in beautiful grounds versus a state grammar school set in the heart of a town!

For what it's worth I have several friends with daughters at both schools and they are all happy with the choices they made.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now