DGGS - over-subscription criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Letter all done, thanks to all your help, lets see what happens.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Good luck Tracy. These kind of policies really bug me. I hope you get somewhere.

Sometimes schools seem to get round the Greenwich judgement by using a geographical feature (e.g. river, road, etc) which "just happens" to run along the county boundary. This seems to keep to the "letter" of the Greenwich judgement, but not the spirit.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Having looked at the map yesterday, when clearly I should have been getting on with the housework, it appears that the biggest losers would be those applicants living in Crayford or very close to Crayford. There are 4 primaries in that area in particular that would benefit from being included on the 'partner primaries' list. Strange..... because in other directions the list seems to emcompass many schools from further afield. Looks to me like they are deliberately putting Kent residents first regardless of proximity to the school.
WP

Post by WP »

Yes, on this map of primaries within 10 miles of DGGS, the discrimination is quite striking.

Now you have to wait until they determine their final arrangements (deadline April 15). Hopefully pointing this out will be enough, but if not the next step would be the Schools Adjudicator. I'd expect the school to get pretty short shrift unless they can think of a good reason to exclude the Bexley primaries.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

WP thanks for this - it really is quite shocking!
WP

Post by WP »

The boys' school is similar, though they define their priority area using electoral wards. (And they include their own map, so it's easier to see.)
toy

Post by toy »

Sad isn't it, is there something we can do to adjust this. I just recieved an email from DGS stating that where we live is not included in their Zone A for admission purposes, considering the fact that we live 1 mile from the school, likewise my DS son is less than a mile from DGS. My DS would be sitting for the 11 plus this year and we hope to get him in to DGS as it is the closest to us. Any advice pls......... I don't mind putting in a letter to the school too if I know what the content should be!!!!! Thanks
WP

Post by WP »

toy wrote:Sad isn't it, is there something we can do to adjust this. I just recieved an email from DGS stating that where we live is not included in their Zone A for admission purposes, considering the fact that we live 1 mile from the school, likewise my DS son is less than a mile from DGS. My DS would be sitting for the 11 plus this year and we hope to get him in to DGS as it is the closest to us. Any advice pls......... I don't mind putting in a letter to the school too if I know what the content should be!!!!! Thanks
Today is the deadline for feedback on the consultation, so you may need to send it by email, unless you can deliver it by hand. You need to write to the governors of the school, saying that you are responding to the consultation on their admission arrangements for September 2010. You could say that you believe that omission of your area from Zone A is unlawful discrimination under the Greenwich Judgement of 1989, which established that maintained schools may not give priority to children simply because they live in the authority’s administrative area. (The Judgement is referenced by paragraph 3.7(b) of the Revised Admissions Code.)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Whilst looking at the school's website for other unrelated info I have noticed that the 2010 criteria (no amendments) is already on there too.

I have had no feedback from my letter, no acknowledgement, nothing.

Surely this can't be right?
Even if my objections were invalid, in their opinion, shouldn't I have at least been notified?

What's the next step?
I have to bear in mind that my daughter may want to include this school on her caf so I have to be very careful!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Still on the case here.

Have looked at www.schoolsadjudicator.gov.uk and apparently if 10 or more people object it will be looked into.

Can I ask that if you live in this area that you have a look at the criteria. We may or may not be interested in this school but my concern is if one gets away with it others will follow.

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now