S&S Bok 5, section 1, Test 1, question 7

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
berks_mum

Re: S&S Bok 5, section 1, Test 1, question 7

Post by berks_mum »

gulat, this is Schofield and Simms Mental Arithmetic Book 5.

(Edited for spelling mistake)
Last edited by berks_mum on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Yamin151 wrote:
berks_mum wrote:Just realised I have to buy the answer booklet separately. Book costs £2.95 and answer cost £4.95. Somebody is making good money.
They certainly are! I don't think you need the answer book, 95% are simple for an adult! it's just your method you need to have clear in your head! and that's not in the answer book. Any you are stuck on, put them here as I hae answers to them all, twice over! (Twins)
Thanks Yamin. DD left a note asking is the answer £2.00 (using the 10% for 20p left) for the above question ? Yesterday she thought 'saves 60%' means Amy saves 60% on the cost of the book which was 30% of the original amount and things didn't made sense after that. This morning she had an idea that may be Amy kept 60% away in a piggy bank :-).
Will you check if it is the correct answer ?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Buy the answer book and 're sell it, the kids don't mess it up like the question book.

For bucks test speed speed speed at level 4

For Kendrick you probably need level 5.

Your dd sounds like she is doing brilliantly. :D son number three has just started book 5 too, after finishing book 4. The first test is easier than the last test in book 4, so we are bracing ourselves. :lol:
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks SB3. For some reason(don't ask me why) I thought the allocated time should be 12-18min per test so I wanted to check if she was too slow and struggling. Makes me wonder how unconscious I live, sometimes.

I thought the books went according to Year groups i.e book 4 for year 4, level 4 and so on. I will buy book 4. How much time did you allow for book 4 ? There are 36 questions in each test so 18 mins or even less ?
gulat

Post by gulat »

Thanks Berk_Mum
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

berks_mum wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:
berks_mum wrote:Just realised I have to buy the answer booklet separately. Book costs £2.95 and answer cost £4.95. Somebody is making good money.
They certainly are! I don't think you need the answer book, 95% are simple for an adult! it's just your method you need to have clear in your head! and that's not in the answer book. Any you are stuck on, put them here as I hae answers to them all, twice over! (Twins)
Thanks Yamin. DD left a note asking is the answer £2.00 (using the 10% for 20p left) for the above question ? Yesterday she thought 'saves 60%' means Amy saves 60% on the cost of the book which was 30% of the original amount and things didn't made sense after that. This morning she had an idea that may be Amy kept 60% away in a piggy bank :-).
Will you check if it is the correct answer ?
Yes it is correct (so I was right too!) :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

berks_mum wrote:Thanks SB3. For some reason(don't ask me why) I thought the allocated time should be 12-18min per test so I wanted to check if she was too slow and struggling. Makes me wonder how unconscious I live, sometimes.

I thought the books went according to Year groups i.e book 4 for year 4, level 4 and so on. I will buy book 4. How much time did you allow for book 4 ? There are 36 questions in each test so 18 mins or even less ?
He has twenty minutes, but he does leave gaps. I am no longer tutoring him for 11+ though, he just has twenty minutes to do his book work each morning before school.
Book 4 is end of year 4, to year 5 for a good ability student. Book 5 I would say now, through year 6. Book 6 is a different beasty. Probably more in line with nc levels, but very loosely. Really they are more about confidence building for me, rather than stretching.
Azure

Post by Azure »

southbucks3 wrote:
berks_mum wrote:Thanks SB3. For some reason(don't ask me why) I thought the allocated time should be 12-18min per test so I wanted to check if she was too slow and struggling. Makes me wonder how unconscious I live, sometimes.

He has twenty minutes, but he does leave gaps. I am no longer tutoring him for 11+ though, he just has twenty minutes to do his book work each morning before school.
Book 4 is end of year 4, to year 5 for a good ability student. Book 5 I would say now, through year 6. Book 6 is a different beasty. Probably more in line with nc levels, but very loosely. Really they are more about confidence building for me, rather than stretching.
My DC is doing this book. He is on Section 2 Test 10, nearly at end of year 5. Is this ok? He will take 45 minutes to do one paper, sometime slonger if tired. He doesn't like S&S format. Why is 6 a different beastie? I was going to give this to him in year 6. Is it too easy or too hard for year 6? Thank you.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Look, there is a lot of chat about what s and s book they 'should' be on, it entirely depends on the child, if they are keen and confident, push em, if they are lacking in confidence then boost them with an easier one. Some schools want them to be more challenged, some don't. I have one boy in year 6 on book 5, the other on book 6, also in year 6. He says it is easier than book 5 because it is a basic year 7 book, as opposed to book 5 which is a challenging year 5 or 6 book. Further to that, both my boys qualified in the eleven plus, and in year 5 they were on books 5 and 4, so go figure. You can work with your child and help them move on to more challenging maths, or let them build confidence by managing easily in his or her own.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Yamin151 wrote:
Yes it is correct (so I was right too!) :D
Thanks Yamin.
Sorry, I didn't realise that you answered it already. May be because it was in quotes. I do apologise and make it a point to read inside quotes from next time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now