Maths rut

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southbucks3

Re: Maths rut

Post by southbucks3 »

Well done baby sleepyhead....a brilliant mark and two errors corrected.
Sleepyhead how about loom banding with her as a reward, or treating her to some loom band charms. It's the holidays, you both deserve a Mr whippy before reviewing those averages, easy to make errors on those, big lists of additions, need to be very organised.
Good luck, and well done. :D
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
irisha

Post by irisha »

A few thoughts and a bit of context.

DD got three major academic scholarships at most sought after schools in South London. That was way beyond our expectations - at this point in time I was freaking out whether she'll actually get in anywhere, let alone get scholarships.

I only started doing timed papers in December - probably 2-3 at the beginning and majority during Christmas break and between exams themselves. That included VR and NVR which Consortium does not have so you can afford to spend more time on Maths and English. If we were doing timed papers at this point in our prep, my DD would have burnt out by the time of exams. Of course, every child is different and yours may be more robust. They did a few North London papers at school as timed practice, sometime around October and she was getting scores of just above 70%.

In terms of advice, I would start doing papers without timing - once the pressure of time is gone you will be able to judge better what the issues are. Perhaps, she just does not know or her understanding of certain topics is not robust. Then you need to re-visit those topics and do lots of different types of problems within those topics rather than doing papers. This is time much better invested. Those papers have lots of quite tricky problems and if she is not cracking them, that's where you need to put your efforts now.

Careless mistakes will reduce and timing improve once topics knowledge is more robust.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Well done Irisha. It must have been a rewarding experience for you both.
Now that, I am sitting down with DD and going through things, it all feels so real and I must admit, I have become slightly emotional a few times, watching her toil through the work. It has definitely brought us closer....

Irisha, Were your exams in January time then? (ours is round the corner, September)
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thankyou SB3 and irisha for your replies. We are going to the park later today and getting ice-creams as well. Need a bit of a taste of summer. It is hard having to do all this when her younger sibling is playing and the weather has been great.

Irisha - isn't 3 scholarships a lovely surprise. Well done, must have been an emotional time. We'll be happy with offers without scholarships - we're not really aiming for one at all.

WW - good luck with imminent exams. (and to everyone else in the same boat)
dingding

Post by dingding »

Hi SH

Just wanted to say, enjoy your time in the park this afternoon; a bit a downtime is probably needed.
Hopefully the sun will be smiling on you all :D

DD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now