KS2 Maths exam

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dollydripmat

Re: KS2 Maths exam

Post by Dollydripmat »

At our Y6 Sats meeting we were told the paper level 3-5 is marked externally to determine whether you attain a 3/4/5. It is continuious teacher assessment that determines the sub levels in the end of year school report if they are an A/B or C .dollyx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, that may be what your school does but not reflected in most schools.

The sub-levels used in secondary performance measures (ie progress from KS2) come from the test score, nothing else.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks G55, it sounds as though our school is unusual? Dollyx
moved

Post by moved »

The test isn't designed to give sub-levels. The marks are clustered around the 3/4 and 4/5 thresholds. The fact that secondary schools extrapolate sub levels from scores does not make them accurate.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

moved wrote:The test isn't designed to give sub-levels. The marks are clustered around the 3/4 and 4/5 thresholds. The fact that secondary schools extrapolate sub levels from scores does not make them accurate.

Moved - its RAISEonline that sublevels them for the progress matrices .... they split level 3, 4 and 5.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think it's quite funny how secretive and confusing primary schools are about KS2 test scores - as though it's rocket science too.

There's a KS2 test score and there's the Raise Online way of splitting it out. Why not just write this all down clearly on a sheet of paper for parents and send it out to parents with the child's score. If school's also decide to do their own twist on it (like Dolly's school) then they could write this down on a sheet of paper too and send it out to parents. Then no need to waste time with confusing meetings and different versions of things from different members of staff in the same school.

Secondary schools could also each write down what exactly they do with the teacher assessments and the KS2 test scores. It would save a lot of confusion.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

So a DC would be downgraded by a level or two just because they came from a certain primary????? If so, this is very unfair to a DC.
Aren't SATS marked externally?
I'm obviously not very good at expressing things! No that isn't the case. At his school (which is a good comp) they re-test at the start of year 7. But the teachers in charge of this report every year that it is children from the same schools who are consistently being given higher levels by those schools. Whereas in other primaries they find consistently that the levels are the same. I agree I do not understand exactly why since most of the SATs are externally marked. But that's what they say.
mystery

Post by mystery »

loobylou wrote:
So a DC would be downgraded by a level or two just because they came from a certain primary????? If so, this is very unfair to a DC.
Aren't SATS marked externally?
I'm obviously not very good at expressing things! No that isn't the case. At his school (which is a good comp) they re-test at the start of year 7. But the teachers in charge of this report every year that it is children from the same schools who are consistently being given higher levels by those schools. Whereas in other primaries they find consistently that the levels are the same. I agree I do not understand exactly why since most of the SATs are externally marked. But that's what they say.
Maybe they know there is some cheating going on in the tests at that school! It would be annoying though if you were from that school and deserved the level you had achieved in the test but what was expected from you at the secondary was watered down because you were from that school. It's not on really - the primary should be challenged rather than all the children "downgraded" in their minds at secondary.

But, as it's the KS2 test result which goes into Raise Online this is the one that the secondary has to live with in terms of making progress with those children so they're cutting off their noses to spite their face if they don't try and get these children to the level that their KS2 test result would indicate they're capable of.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Back to basics, what is Raise Online?
mystery

Post by mystery »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raise ... 7Ab92YHgDg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a database with every state school pupil in the country on it. Their foundation stage profile scores, KS1 results, KS2 results etc etc are fed into it. It's used for target setting at both pupil, class and school level so far as I understand.

It's accessible by the school, OFSTED and I don't know who else.

Maybe someone who has access to it could tell us more please!