11+ diy

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dplumb

Re: 11+ diy

Post by dplumb »

It's both - forgetting concepts and strategies, for e.g. he'll forget how to find LCM / HCF of 3 numbers using prime factorisation method and then spend more time finding it manually.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Do evaluate if all the methods you have taught him are really necessary. Does your DC solve the problem quicker using a non-technical method? He may have his own methods of solving some questions accurately within the available time. You might want to consider if it is worth changing his approach to some questions as it might end up confusing him.

Referring to your example of finding LCM, I remember that DS used to pick the largest number, go through its multiples and find the first one that occurred in the other two smaller times tables. We realised that the numbers usually given in these types of questions were not big and the knowledge of basic times tables (up to 12) was enough. That was the way his brain processed that type of question. I was happy as long as he got to the correct answer quickly. After each 11+exam he did, DS would say that the maths questions were challenging because of the logic. But once he figured out what he was expected to do, rest was easy and not technically challenging.

Strategy is very important as well. A lot of time can go waste in trying to understand a question. So after your DC finishes a paper you might want to get him to read out the questions where he lost marks and explain his approach to you. Any gaps in his understanding of the question or the strategy involved are bound to surface. If he doesn't manage to finish a paper, go back to the questions he attempted and try to figure out which ones he spent too much time on. Again ask him to verbalise his understanding and approach. It is also useful to pick the question types he struggles with, change the numbers/names, and ask him how he would solve it.
dplumb

Post by dplumb »

Thanks mumsdarling2 for your feedback, however, my observation is that DS is accurate whenever he uses strategy compared to manual approach, with added advantage of taking much less time.

You are right that first challenge is to understand the question, without that even mastering good strategies will not help get an accurate answer.

I believe that good strategies and techniques will help him build a strong foundation for KS3 and GCSE, where it might not be even possible to solve complex problems without good techniques.

At the end, every child is unique and what clicks for one child may not work for all.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

For what it's worth - I'd value mathematical understanding over the ability to recall a method/formula. Without the understanding it will be difficult to know what method/formula to use. Understanding alone will often allow them to "work it out" or use trial and error at 11+ standard. Best if they can do both of course.

As for the original question - I've found CGP material good in the past.
bunglechips

Post by bunglechips »

DG, I am interested in your comment about CGP and FPTP v Bond.

My daughter is due to sit the Kent test this year and feels that her maths is weak (I think it's on track, just lacking confidence).

She has sat 2 Bond 10-11 maths papers scoring 86% and 88% and 2 short numerical reasonong FPTP. Her score for the latter two were 72 % and 75% but the percentiles ranked her only 22 and 44.

We also have the strange situation of her scoring 60-70% on the Bond 10 minute tests for age 10-11 yet 80-90 % on the Bond 10 minute tests for age 11-12 (although she has only done 3 of those).

I am wondering whether overall the Bond are generally easier with the FPTP expecting an eye-wateringly fast pace or whether this is just a fluke.

Are CGP better ? I have the GL papers, but was saving them for nearer the time.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Daogroupie wrote:In my opinion CGP and First past the post are in a different league to Bond. Is your DS in Y4 or Y5? DG
I agree. We used Bond to 'ease' into the 11+ preparation/cover the basics and then moved on to CGP and FPTP. DS would typically score over 90% in Bond 10-11 papers, but his CGP and FPTP scores were initially significantly lower and he struggled to complete the tests within the suggested time.

NB. We did not teach DS any particular concepts, as we thought those might be too abstract for a 10 year old, so all his maths work was based on logic and understanding. We found that the speed of mental maths facts recall was crucial for being able to complete the test within the time given.

It's worth bearing in mind that some of the maths questions in 11+ exams are more of maths puzzles rather than 'regular' maths problem solving; this is to test the children's ability to think 'out of the box'.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
dplumb

Post by dplumb »

Has anyone used 11+ & KS2 Mathematics Flash Cards from Amazon? There is only 1 feedback on Amazon, would appreciate feedback from forum before I buy.

Thanks
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

No, I'm afraid we haven't used anything like that at all.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)