Maths taught in blocks

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Tracy are you talking about multiplications or timetables for buses/trains etc... If it is multiplication I suggest parrot fashion for the time being just to get her up to speed. I know ts not an ideal method but its working for my son at the moment and when he has more understanding I'll teach him what it means.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Theh best way to teach timetables is to do it for real..

Could you plan a journey at the weekend?

Find the best bus/train for where you want to go, will you get there in time for lunch, fete, cinema etc.

Which one do you need to get to get back in time for Doctor Who....

Things are far easier in context
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Tipsy - it's bus/train timetables that are the problem not times tables.

Yoyo - yes, I have been thinking of doing this especially with the school hols coming up and various days out planned.

Daughter has managed to understand simple timetables now so its a start in the right direction, something to build on.

Wonder what the next block has in store for us? Anyone know? Daughter is yr4 going into yr5.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at the link I posted on the previous page - planning then Year 4.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

What does this teacher do / say when your daughter has completed the easy work set in, I presume, much less than the time given?

I really can't understand a teacher working like this. It's pathetic.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Guest55 - I have printed it off and need to go through it - maybe with a large glass of red!

Perplexed - the thing is my daughter has huge strengths in maths but sometimes, what most children would consider easy, she struggles with. So you might say that her ability is not consistent across all areas but it's only in one or two topics that she has problems - 24hr clock and timetables.

Until a few months ago, reading scales was a problem. She couldn't get her head around a full litre jug of water less a glass was basic taking away!

We tackled these kind of problems by estimating what was required to fill a jug to the top BUT we imagined it was a swimming pool. What would happen if we got our calculations wrong? Results- not enough water to swim in or the local area would be flooded.

We did the same with length. I explained how important it was to get the length of a runway right or the plane would not be able to stop on landing. After a practical lesson or two it's 'pips' - as she says.

She already does yr7 algebra that my eldest gets from her grammar. DD2's teacher said haughtily that "It's not on the KS2 curriculum" but I told her that adding, taking away, mulitplying and dividing was. Not to mention brackets! So how about adapting lessons where kids are struggling into something that they understand?

With this latest 'area' topic - dd has this cracked and I reckon is on yr6 work already. To answer your question , yes she gets through it very quickly and now she gets another worksheet of a harder level given to her, but as my daughter says, why doesn't the teacher give her that one in the first place? The teacher seems to think it's in my daughter's interests to hold her back as her train timetables as lacking. I don't expect dd to be in the top set for averything, she is clearly not capable of this yet, but it would be nice for her capabilities to be acknowledged just once in a while rather than be constently told ' you can't do that'.

It always seems to be a battle. There appears to be no flexibilty on the school's part whatsoever. I have asked so many times for the top groups work to be sent home but to be fair I'm not sure if she is really missing anything. I set harder at home!

I have taken in examples of her work at home but have been told that as she does not do it in class it's irrelevent. How can she do it in class if it's not set???? AAAAAARGGHHHH!!!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I hope the Y5 teacher is more flexible - this is NOT the way it should be!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I hope we do get a better deal in yr5. However, I have now resigned myself to the fact that things probably won't get any better at this primary school. As I can't disrupt my child socially at this stage I am fully prepared to teach Maths myself and then send her to her tutor for back-up. I'm convinced that the pair of us can make more progress with my daughter than the school can. I am sick and tired of moaning at school simply to get my daughter a fair deal. What a sorry state of affairs this has come to.
mystery

Re: Maths taught in blocks

Post by mystery »

Tracy
Are you still on the forum? What did happen in the end? Was the teacher in subsequent years more flexible in her grouping approach, and more stretching with the work set for your DC?
Tracy

Re: Maths taught in blocks

Post by Tracy »

Hi Mystery,

I' ve got a new job so I'm not around as much as I used to be. I do still pop in from time to time though.

My dd is in year 7 now and is doing well due to professional and home tutoring. Didn't pass the 11+, that was never the issue, but working at level 5 across the board and being taught to level 6. We are really happy with the sec school.

Back in year 6, we got the best teacher in the school, that's a turn up we thought...... then she got pregnant and we got stand ins! You really do have to laugh.