Review?? 506 score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

I would discuss this with School. If they fully support a review and feel your child has the work to back this up then thats probably the way to go.
appealingmum

Post by appealingmum »

[quote="jenhug"]I would discuss this with School. If they fully support a review and feel your child has the work to back this up then thats probably the way to go.[/quote]

Thanks will see what they say
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

My understanding of the Medway review is that it only considers the information provided by the school, this probably consists of academic details. In an appeal(where no review has taken place) you can submit other information i.e. other academic or extenuating circumstance for non-qualification.

It is therefore important that you consider what factors caused your child miss the mark.

If your child underperformed on the day but otherwise has a brilliant portfolio of work at school and has strong school support - then a review may be a good option.

If you want to supply additional academic or non-academic evidence or extenuating circumstances then an appeal (without review) may be a better option.
appealingmum

Post by appealingmum »

So confused and her schools shut on monday.
louloustrumpet

Review at 506

Post by louloustrumpet »

With a score of 506, you have a lot to think about. You need to be brutally honest with yourself about why your daughter failed the test. The average child will have scored 500. The test is selecting the top 23%. 521 is obviously right at the bottom of that, with scores ranging upwards and full marks of around 700 entirely possible. If your child scored so near to average, you have to consider how she would fare at grammar school with all these super-brains. Sorry to be so blunt.

Having said that, if your daughter was unwell or is just not so good at exams, and the result really doesn't reflect her abilities then the review process may be the way to go. Her school should support the review unless they have deep reservations that she won't be able to cope (although catholic schools are less prone to be helpful in these circumstances). The school will need to provide examples of her work in Maths, English and Science and will be asked for predicted grades for SATs as well. If your daughter is consistently in the top 1 or 2 sets for Maths and English, you stand a fairly good chance.

I hope your daughter will be happy with whatever you decide between you and wish you luck.
jokiebe

Post by jokiebe »

because my son was 11 at the beginning of October... how many points are they likely to deduct for his age???? does anyone know....?????
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

I dont think they deduct for age, they add on to thr younger ones, about 5 points I think
jokiebe

Post by jokiebe »

so doesnt really make much difference thank you .....
tiredmum

review 506

Post by tiredmum »

hi id just like to add a few things but not sure how all this works, so bare with me. Earlier on i read that 500 is what the average child would score, this isnt quite true in that its what "the average child out of ALL the kids who have taken the test" would score. And as we know its the minority from a state school classroom that takes the test. if your child scored 506 its more than the average school child.
Also If your child has good levels at school already - ie. level 4a or 5 then i would say certaily go for a review and or appeal. A few years back one of my children narrowly passed and some said then - better be the top of a secondary than bottom of a grammar- but she isnt - she has worked hard and grammar schools do pile on the pressure but she is well above middle of the pack in her year group. In my experienced its the "over tutored" kids that scrape through who may have problems raising their game at grammar. You know your child, so chat to the head and make the decision that you know is right from knowing your child :o
gogmister

Re: review 506

Post by gogmister »

tiredmum wrote:hi id just like to add a few things but not sure how all this works, so bare with me. Earlier on i read that 500 is what the average child would score, this isnt quite true in that its what "the average child out of ALL the kids who have taken the test" would score. And as we know its the minority from a state school classroom that takes the test. if your child scored 506 its more than the average school child.
Also If your child has good levels at school already - ie. level 4a or 5 then i would say certaily go for a review and or appeal. A few years back one of my children narrowly passed and some said then - better be the top of a secondary than bottom of a grammar- but she isnt - she has worked hard and grammar schools do pile on the pressure but she is well above middle of the pack in her year group. In my experienced its the "over tutored" kids that scrape through who may have problems raising their game at grammar. You know your child, so chat to the head and make the decision that you know is right from knowing your child :o
Well said, totally agree!! Our dd got through on appeal and is top in 2 subjects and doing well in all the others! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now