Fort Pitt or Rochester Grammer ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

No, I think that when they say that they mean you are likely to get your 1st choice. Apparently a large percentage of applicants get their first choice.

HOWEVER, if you are unsure if you are going to get into your first choice, you really have nothing to lose by putting your preference first as if you become non-selective, or score not high enough etc, the LEA will look to your next choice.

To put it simply, you MUST list your choices in order. If you prefer RGS then put it first, you have nothing to lose if you have 'passed' the 11+. You can then list your other schools second. There is a large chance you will get first choice.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Falling school roles in Medway has an effect on Grammar schools too! There are more 'places' (this year) that won't be filled because of the 25 percent cut-off... Therefore the schools want as many applications because, as seems to be agreed, you are likely to get your first choice... No school wants empty spaces...
Grace

Post by Grace »

pls how do you know that there are falling rolls in medway? Is there any statistics to show this ?

thanks.
hippo

Post by hippo »

One secondary headmaster said that this is the smallest year 6 in many years, but the highest number taking the Medway test. Birth rates have been falling, stats have proven this.
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

Why couldn't they allow more children to have the advantage of a grammar school education , then , especially as the pass mark was been higher then previous years ? Could they not of lowed by , say 10 points , to make up the numbers ?
hippo

Post by hippo »

Hi again Anne (just posted a reply to you on "General" too),
That is a very interesting point. We'll have to look carefully at the places allocated to find out if there are fewer selective or non selective places given out!
Best wishes,
Hippo

Post by Guest »

The number of children offered a selective place will be 25 percent of the cohort... If the cohort is much smaller then less children will be going to Grammar school in Sept 2008. ALL schools will be wanting to fill THIER places up... including the Grammars, some of whom will have empty spaces because there are fewer children... falling rolls...
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I do agree with Anne42, it seems a shame there may be places in undersubscribed grammar schools when there are borderline children who would willingly take them up.
I also think it is wrong that out of area children are allowed to take the test purely for practice as it affects the 25% chosen ie. out of area children might take up the selective places but never actually take up the offer of a medway school place.
Me

Post by Me »

This also goes for those in private education taking the test as a back up should they need to transfer at some stage in the future.
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

Maybe a reserve list is the answer , for places offered but not taken by out of area children .