EGS results are out!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: EGS results are out!

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed even if the girls have dropped the pass mark to take more in area the boys selection figures distance should only be governed by the number of boys in catchment (of whom 28% will get places) and the number of OOC sibs (often the big variable)
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Yes, the top 28% of boys in area set the pass mark - my point is more about density of population.

Traditionally quite a lot of OOC pupils come from the bit immediately south of Skipton along the A629 and Addingham along the A65. But these are all fairly small villages, so even if an extra (say) 10% have passed that won't be that many extra. You've then got Keighley/Silsden on the Airedale side, but no extra villages etc in Wharfedale til you get to Ilkley - and I think you're nearer than most, if not all, of Ilkley.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I like your reasoning Andy but i think for my sanity it's better to think he's not getting in and come march 1st it will be a nice surprise. I feel there are other parents who's sons passed in our school who are confident they have a place on past events but i think that would terrible come march to find out they have not especially when the child also thinks they are getting in. I'm telling my son he is unlikely to get in based on the unforeseen passes so he's accepting it more
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

How many have passed from your primary, Janet? I think you said you're the nearest though?
janet71

Post by janet71 »

andy from embsay wrote:How many have passed from your primary, Janet? I think you said you're the nearest though?
4 inc my son, I'm the nearest 8.8 and i would say the farthest is about 12m and i think 1 in the other primary up the road. I did see about 10 lady lane boys at the exam, which is a private primary school at the top of bingley /eldwick and i would guess all them will have passed so who knows.....that's about 15 there, just need to account for the other 40 :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

don't be too sure about all of Lady Lane ... not all of private school pupils pass and some of those who do go elsewhere. Quite a few years ago I was visiting a private school in thge patch and it turned out that hordes of the boys had taken the test ... but only 2 passed :wink:
janet71

Post by janet71 »

hermanmunster wrote:don't be too sure about all of Lady Lane ... not all of private school pupils pass and some of those who do go elsewhere. Quite a few years ago I was visiting a private school in thge patch and it turned out that hordes of the boys had taken the test ... but only 2 passed :wink:
Now you see Herman i had accounted for 10 of the 168 passes there who live further so now I'm going to have to find them elsewhere in my little mind... :lol:
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Oh Fluffy, your post brought a lump to my throat! Blumin ek you must be right out of tears! Its so increadibly difficult because as parents we have no controll at this stage. You cant influence that final decision...what you both can do however is start thinking about why EGS is the only school that will best meet his needs..Last year kids got in as far out as Shipley, year before only some of Bingley was ok!.Madness and a luck of the draw....Lady Lane kids sit EGS as a practice but tent to go to woodhouse..and agree with Herman that few pass and standards dont seem to be what they used to be..Hang in there ladies, ...nothing is impossible!
Janet agree with your thinking DS going into top sets at BGS is important. x