Cut-off: 218
In area: 41
Out of area: 80
Number of places: 112
hermanmunster

Re: Eghs results

Post by hermanmunster »

Cheers Automaton,

so we have 121 candidates for 112 places - shame that some won't get places but it is possible that some of the OOC will opt to go elsewhere anyway. Will only know the cutoff distance in March.
Uphill

Post by Uphill »

Afternoon ppl

Sorry for belated news my DS has passed
With an impressive result of 239

Hermunmunster what are the chances of being
offered a place we are OOC by about 8.6 miles

Any advice much appreciated

And congratulation to all who passed! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

are you 8.6 from school?

just looked up the last oversubscribed year (2013) - when 185 passed!

The position for Ermysted's Grammar School for 2013 entry, using the relevant admission arrangements for that year, is as follows: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/26 ... on-reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ermysted's Grammar School (published admission number 112) was oversubscribed and on 1 March 2013 places were allocated as follows:
First, children and young people in public care for whom the school has been expressed as a preference and previously looked after children: 0
Second, children living within the normal area of the school: 52
Third, children living outside the normal area of the school, including 13 who had siblings already at the school*: 60
Total initially allocated places on 1 March 2013: 112

*The remaining 47 'out-of-area' children were decided by distance from school, with the furthest being 8.18 miles. Please note that the school uses the straight line form of measurement in accordance with its published admissions process.
Answer is that you just won't know until March ! It will depend to some extent on how many siblings there are who have passed and live OOC... will try and hunt for some of the other years.
Uphill

Post by Uphill »

Hi hermunmunster

We are 8.6 from school thank you for
Information.

It's a nervous wait till march it seems
Such a long wait ....

How does it work as it's already 121 to 112
Places, if boys who appeal and are successful also who are closer to school
Would priority be given to them.

My son has mentioned a boy at his school who missed out
By 1 mark but lives closer if he succeed in appealing.
Would he be placed with in all those who have passed
But are OOC?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - the situation is that there are some selection reviews held in January - these are purely an academic review last year - the numbers are as follows:

2014 reviews 46 upheld 7
2013 reviews 32 upheld 9
2012 reviews 44 upheld 2

so relatively low numbers are added to the total regardless of the large number reviewed.

the ones who are successful at review will indeed be added to the overall total, they may have a sibling and will get a place via that route or they may live quite close and get a place that way. The upshot is that all that is required is a pass and all those who pass will be allocated on distance only.

In March there are some admission appeals - this is when you have been declined a place after applying on the CAF, the school sometimes does go over 112 - looks like 2013 had 119 - this would be an option if you don't get a place on March 1st.

the distances can vary every year so really hard to know what will happen
ETA - just found a reference to one of the years ?2011 the distance being 10.8 miles
Automaton

Post by Automaton »

Well done to your DS Uphill, that's a great score :D
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Congrats snowdrops, and everyone..
acme

Post by acme »

Hi everyonr,
I was active on this page a few years back when my oldest DS passed the 11plus but wasn't allocated a place based on distance. Anyway - to cut a long story short, we appealed and passed. I did a huge amount of preparation and was convinced he should be at the school, and backed all of this up with evidence.

So if any of you who have passed fail to be allocated a place - I am happy to give advice on appeals.

My son is now in Yr 10.
My younger ds took the 11 plus this year and passed with flying colours! So on the basis of having a sibling at Ermysteds he should get in.
We live in the Saltaire/Bingley area - so quite a way out, but easy by train.

My only issue now is my little DD - who would rather go to Ermysteds, and would never in a million years consider an all girls school ;-).

Happy weekend everyone
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now