Is the Calderdale 11+ fair?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mrb

Re: Is the Calderdale 11+ fair?

Post by mrb »

Some really interesting points being raised and we could debate this all day over our choice of tipple. :P

One thing I hadn't realised until recently was the lack of catchment for the Halifax Grammar schools. I wonder when this came about and why? Looking at other local grammar schools e.g. Heckmondwike, they do prioritise local candidates. I wonder how much this is affecting local candidates?

The other point I was looking to make is the additional school places at Crossley Heath. I wonder how much this will impact resources at the school and the pupil teacher ratio? Over the next 5 years, we're looking at another 125 pupils in y7-y11.
Automaton

Post by Automaton »

I didn't realise that mrb! So OOC candidates could potentially be awarded more places that in catchment? In North Yorkshire, if more candidates reach the cut-off than there are places, priority is given based on distance from the school.
Halifaxmum2

Post by Halifaxmum2 »

Yes, I was surprised to overhear a family at CH on test day. They were applying despite living in Bingley. I can't help feeling that this is a bit unfair.
Duran

Post by Duran »

With regards distance, it's believed someone from Blackpool took the test last year. Lots from Manchester area so I've heard. Apparently they're prepared to move house once a place is offered.

Of course this could all be an urban myth! But for instance CH came 9th in the league table for GCSE results in 2013 for the whole country - including private schools. You can see how they're in such demand.

We can almost see CH from our house, so should our children be competing with those that don't even live in the same county?
tiggsy

Post by tiggsy »

I really enjoyed reading everyone's replies to this topic and can only sympathise with Halifaxmum2's situation. A similar situation occurred at our DC's school where a child who was thought to be a dead cert to place highly, unfortunately did not manage to do so (due to not having any tutoring) and will not be getting a place at either CH or NHGS. I do understand that everyone wants the best for their children, but I can say hand on heart that if our DC had not shown potential then I would never have entered them into such a competitive process. I do feel as though, that perhaps children from less fortunate surroundings should be given funding to help them and even the field if this is the only way to assure an even playing-field in terms of access to a tutor as discussed so eloquently by Mr B. I do still harbour some doubts whether CH is the right environment for our DC, but was worried that sending them to a normal comprehensive would lead to bullying, due to his love of Sciences and History, and eagerness to discuss this at any opportunity. As an aside, I was wondering if anybody else's children are sitting level 6 exams at the end of this year? I attended Dcs' parent's evening recently, and was informed they were already working at level 5A in the 3 core subjects of Reading, Writing and Mathematics, so would be sitting level 6 papers at years' end. Will achieving a Level 6 mean that children are put into higher sets? I thought that being accepted would be the end of our worries, but it seems as though I am subjecting my DC to another 7 years of ultra-competetiveness now where they will be compared to others achievements constantly. It just strikes me that there is something fundamentally wrong with the Education system to allow this to develop, although I am realistic enough to accept that there is no easy answer. I suppose I am just worried, as I want DC to learn as organically as possible, and to enjoy his teenage years as I did mine. Sorry for the ramble, I appreciate everyone's support and comments.
Duran

Post by Duran »

tiggsy - I completely agree with your concerns about the competitive nature of CH. From what I've heard, it's not uncommon for kids to drop out and go elsewhere.

I'll certainly be watching my two sons carefully to make sure this world created by adults doesn't harm their happy childhood.
scientist

Post by scientist »

Hi all

this is the subject I did my dissertation on for my teaching degree. The reason I chose it was that my DS had taken the exam the previous year. My research showed not only did this process have a negative effect on children's self esteem but also made things so much more difficult for surrounding comprehensive schools.

Having said that my son is now in year 10 at NHGS and doing better than I could have hoped.
OCD87

Post by OCD87 »

There is funding available, at least in our area. Our local tutor is OFSTED registered and part of the tutor costs can be reclaimed through the tax credits system. So single parents working 16 hours or more a week and couples who both work at least 24 can claim up to 70% of the cost of tutoring back. Those who earn too much to qualify for tax credits have the choice whether to invest their disposable income in their children's future or not.

I feel really bad for my son's friends who did not pass the Heckmondwike test this year; they are all performing exceptionally highly at a school that is at the top of our LA's league table but were not tutored (each did a handful of practice tests at home under the impression that the CEM test was "untutorable"). I didn't feel it was my place to offer my opinion to their parents that children who are excelling at school do not necessarily pass the test but knowing now how disappointed a couple of the families were, I wish I had.

This does kind of bring us back to the point that the current situation of obsessive tutoring is playing into grammar school's hands. Whilst they bleat about untutorable tests and undoubtedly take in some children who have been overly coached and go on to struggle it definitely does benefit the schools to a degree. They are looking for the whole package, including an extremely supportive family that may possibly have paid an arm and a leg for tutoring. It is highly unlikely that a very capable child from a disadvantaged family would be able to maintain the drive and access the resources needed for continual success in a grammar school environment.

This is all just my opinion but after completing the process and securing a place at HGS I think that my answer to the original post would be that no, it is definitely not fair. Even the CEM is coachable.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now