2nd Round Offers for AGGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Re: 2nd Round Offers for AGGS?

Post by countrymum »

I agree Mollydancers.

We all know how wonderful AGGS is and its results speak for themselves, but don't think other trafford GS's are in any way 'inferior'. Many parents may, after much thought, prefer a coed education and as MD says can have various reasons to turn down AGGS. Although the standardisation may be different, i do think the sale exam is still a tough one to pass, as they all are IMO. Any parents on here with DC's going, be proud! DD's/DS's hold your head high!! :D
emsy

Post by emsy »

If you only go by league tables then Sale is 'inferior' but there is a lot more to a school than that. My son (Year 8 now) passed for Altrincham and Sale but we all felt that Sale suited his personality and interests better so we put it first and Altrincham second. Both schools are excellent and would give him the opportunity to get a very good education so we went for the one we felt he would be happiest. Almost two years in I am confident that we made the right choice for him.
GailJ

Post by GailJ »

Valmont wrote:
Halemum wrote:
wigwam12 wrote:Just spoke to LEA.
"Very unlikely" to be any 2nd round this year.
Rubbish!! I know of a definite 3 girls that were offered a place and rejected it to go to Withington, Manchester High and Sale Grammar.
Really? Why on earth would they turn down a place at AGGS in favour of two fee paying schools and an inferior grammar? Would take that with a handful of salt frankly!
All of those schools that you have listed are excellent schools and I certainly don't think that Sale is an 'inferior grammar'. Different schools suit different children, it is not all about academia
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Valmont wrote:
Halemum wrote:
wigwam12 wrote:Just spoke to LEA.
"Very unlikely" to be any 2nd round this year.
Rubbish!! I know of a definite 3 girls that were offered a place and rejected it to go to Withington, Manchester High and Sale Grammar.
Really? Why on earth would they turn down a place at AGGS in favour of two fee paying schools and an inferior grammar? Would take that with a handful of salt frankly!
Valmont: it's all true. The two Girls going to Withington are from very privileged backgrounds (you wont beliebe this but one lives literally around the corner from Alty Girls) and used the Alty exam for practise.

The girl going to Sale Grammar, although she passed Alty, her parents (who I have spoken to personally) feel that their DD would do better being educated with boys and that she won't struggle at Sale whereas she might at Alty. Horses for courses.
bns

Post by bns »

there are many reasons why parents may choose an Indie over a high performing GS.
small classes, networking, close links betwean such schools and top uni's/oxbridge colleges, perceived kudos,exclusivity, " keeping up with jone's" money no issue, better facilities, better ex-curricular activities, not having to stick to a narrow national curriculum , wider scope of subjects e.g Latin/ Chinese and the Classics,more robust and fit for purpose exams e.g IGCES'S ,IB exams and pre-U "A" levels and greater parental say, Thats just for starters
take your pick!!
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

I agree with both the last 2 posts.
DD actually passed all the exams so pending AGGS offer we still had to make the tough choice between Withington and MHGS.
Both excellent but arguably Withington has outperformed more consistently over the years.
But we felt MHGS would offer a more rounded environment for DD (as would AGGS) hence went for that.
I also admit I have been second-guessing myself all along of both (MHGS and AGGS) were free would I still choose AGGS over MHGS?
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Valmont: it's all true. The two Girls going to Withington are from very privileged backgrounds (you wont beliebe this but one lives literally around the corner from Alty Girls) and used the Alty exam for practise.

The girl going to Sale Grammar, although she passed Alty, her parents (who I have spoken to personally) feel that their DD would do better being educated with boys and that she won't struggle at Sale whereas she might at Alty. Horses for courses.[/quote]

I am wondering on what is the parental idea to send a DC almost 10 miles away daily instead of a school next door...however much privileged but something called comman sense....if I had AGGS located at door step, and Withington 10 miles away (irrespective of fees, etc) would go for the nearest school. Imagine the time the DC travelling time!
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

topsyturvy wrote:Valmont: it's all true. The two Girls going to Withington are from very privileged backgrounds (you wont beliebe this but one lives literally around the corner from Alty Girls) and used the Alty exam for practise.

The girl going to Sale Grammar, although she passed Alty, her parents (who I have spoken to personally) feel that their DD would do better being educated with boys and that she won't struggle at Sale whereas she might at Alty. Horses for courses.

I am wondering on what is the parental idea to send a DC almost 10 miles away daily instead of a school next door...however much privileged but something called comman sense....if I had AGGS located at door step, and Withington 10 miles away (irrespective of fees, etc) would go for the nearest school. Imagine the time the DC travelling time![/quote]

So that she can hang around with other privileged kids and not have to be in contact with us "ordinary folk" I presume. :shock:

A friend of a friend has a child at Withington and they are finding it very hard to keep up with the Jones', especially when it comes to their DD's birthday parties! These appear to have become very competitive and expensive affairs. Give me the ordinary folk any day!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

At Withington it depends on the crowd. Due to the generous bursary system there are many girls there from modest or low income families, which is absolutely brilliant.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Ha ha ha, yes that makes me laugh. (not really). My friend's friend's, daughter's friend is on a bursary there. (don't ask me how I know, I'm like the local agony aunt, or perhaps busy body is more apt.) Anyway, her dad is a mere dentist so couldn't possibly afford Withington.

Someone else very rich (and I'm talking mega bucks)and trying to be famous in the area has a relative at Withington on a scholarship and they get a massive discount in their fees. This family flies by private jet to their holiday destinations. the mother actually boasted to me about it and said how funny it was. I don't find it particularly funny at all.

Shouldn't these scholarships and bursaries be means tested?

Tiddlymum, please give me a lovely story about a low income family going to one of these schools. It would really cheer me up!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now