AGGS - how important are SATS results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
agsbmad

Re: AGGS - how important are SATS results?

Post by agsbmad »

:)
Last edited by agsbmad on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

agsbmad wrote:But how important are the targets that they set in the beginning of the year? And if somebody ends up in the bottom set, can they still do well and go on to study in the 6th form?
Regarding AGSB, in year 7 you get termly report in terms of how your child is doing toward their target - either behind, on target or ahead. I think concerns are only raised if a boy is really struggling.

In terms of maths, there are 4 sets but 2 lots of them (so 2 set 1s, 2 set 2s and so on). There are fewer boys in the class as you go down the sets. They only go into sets in year 8 and this is determined by their summer exam score.
Importantly, we were told that almost all of the boys achieve an A or A* at GCSE regardless of what set they are in.
Don't forget, if a boy is at AGSB they are already in the top 1-2% bracket so they are ALL bright children and ALL pretty good at maths anyway.
It's pretty fast-paced and expectations and targets are high - they don't let children slip behind.

Also, I asked about SATs at parents' evening and I was told they do look at them but in terms of setting targets they are more interested in the CAT scores that they get in the first term.
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

Thank you Elphaba. It seems there is always something to worry about. :)
bns

Post by bns »

Level 6 -who cares ??
our DC have worked hard enough already and do not need to "prove themselves all over again" and we should refuse to play along to the ego's of heads /Mr Gove who would have us back in the Victorian days-idiot and have us all doing Latin instead of R.S /Music/ART or ICT :evil: .(even if they did not pass the 11+ they did thier best and worked hard ) to anyone else, enough said !!
the whole thing is beginning to "wind me up" sorry
it's crazy parents fretting about what set thier child will be put in yr 7 , at this very early stage IMO
there is no streaming in yr 7 for GS or Indie kids, most academic schools start streaming for maths at yr8 and keep kids in the same class in other subjects ,e.g in English some DC may be better ar inferring/deduction from set text , may have better insight into how an author evokes emotion ect but the same homework can be set for all, but in Maths there is no point setting questions when a child cannot even grasp what the question is asking!!
sooooooooooo CHILL :D
btw elphaba said" Don't forget, if a boy is at AGSB they are already in the top 1-2% bracket " you must be joking unless your getting confused with The Westminister School"
Last edited by bns on Wed May 15, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake »

I echo what bns said about chilling re sats. The gs are very good at monitoring the dc's ability and progress and there is movement between sets both up and down to suit the ability of the child as they develop. My experience of AGSB is that making sure they are working to their potential is most important. The so called bottom sets in maths achieve A & A* and the main difference is they have smaller numbers so are able to support those who maybe need a bit more time / explanation to get the very (very!) challenging maths they do.

My ds has suggested that if anything some boys have been saddled with target levels set very high based on yr 6 levels that maybe they were intensively taught or pushed for at junior school. They're far better going in with a comfortably achieved sat level and being able to perform above target levels and make everybody happy. Their subsequent targets will be increased in line with this as they go forward. No need to pressure them at this stage.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

As I said above, I was told at AGSB parents' evening that SATs were NOT used to set targets. They use their own CAT scores.
Valmont

Post by Valmont »

bns wrote:Level 6 -who cares ??
our DC have worked hard enough already and do not need to "prove themselves all over again" and we should refuse to play along to the ego's of heads /Mr Gove who would have us back in the Victorian days-idiot and have us all doing Latin instead of R.S /Music/ART or ICT :evil: .(even if they did not pass the 11+ they did thier best and worked hard ) to anyone else, enough said !!
the whole thing is beginning to "wind me up" sorry
it's crazy parents fretting about what set thier child will be put in yr 7 , at this very early stage IMO
there is no streaming in yr 7 for GS or Indie kids, most academic schools start streaming for maths at yr8 and keep kids in the same class in other subjects ,e.g in English some DC may be better ar inferring/deduction from set text , may have better insight into how an author evokes emotion ect but the same homework can be set for all, but in Maths there is no point setting questions when a child cannot even grasp what the question is asking!!
sooooooooooo CHILL :D
btw elphaba said" Don't forget, if a boy is at AGSB they are already in the top 1-2% bracket " you must be joking unless your getting confused with The Westminister School"
Forget to take your xanax again this morning bns?
bns

Post by bns »

no just on my usual citalopram., propranolon , quetiapine and a b---dy expensive psychiatirst :lol: :lol:
is't everyone?
cheers that made me laugh I almost spat out my wine on your comment , you know me too well :oops: but I would keep away from those Benzo's you can never get off them!!
I'm suprised you know about Alprazolam unless you are a fellow nutter :wink:
"it take one to know one" nothing worse then paranoia about one's identity for example :wink:and ideas of self reference-first step to a grandiose delusional state
see you at The Priory(joke)=no seriously it did make me laughxx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now