Urmston Grammar ugs - Information about exams next Saturday

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
edbarnes

Urmston Grammar ugs - Information about exams next Saturday

Post by edbarnes »

Hi
Just got the details of the arrangements for the exam.
I must have got it wrong but have been preparing my dc for the tests under the assumption that the English paper was 50 minutes for 50 questions, the nvr was 5 lots of 12 questions in 30 minutes and the creative writing/prose was 30 minutes. Apparently there are 40 questions in 20 minutes for nvr, 35 minutes for 56 questions in English and only 20 minutes for the prose/creative writing.
Is it just me or do these timings seem to be very hard for 10/11 year olds?
Does anybody know if these timings have always been used or is it a new arrangement?
Thanks in advance for any replies
Vicster

Re: Urmston Grammar ugs - Information about exams next Satur

Post by Vicster »

Those timings seem in line with some of the other Trafford Grammar schools.
30 seconds per NVR question is the norm.
20 minutes for creative writing is the norm.
Obviously some do English and some do VR so I'm not sure what the standard for English usually is but I know that VR is usually 80 questions in 50 minutes which works out at the same number of seconds per question as 56 English questions in 35 minutes.
It is tough, especially as some of these children will have only turned 10 in the last month but it is the norm.
edbarnes

Post by edbarnes »

Hi
Thanks for your quick reply.
Dc won't be happy when I explain that the tests have to be done even quicker than we thought!
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

The NVR isn't quicker than you thought. You were working on the basis of 60 questions in 30 minutes which is the same 30 seconds per question.
The English does equate to much less time per question than you had expected but you still have a little remaining time to work on increasing speed.
The creative writing element is also less time than you expected but try not to worry too much about that as I don't think they can be expecting a great deal of writing to be done in only 20 minutes.
Your child might be glad that he doesn't have to sit for as long as he thought in the exams. Sell it to him as a positive. :D