Mostyn House School - dropping like flies

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest43

Re: Mostyn House School - dropping like flies

Post by guest43 »

Three of the teachers from Mostyn House have also turned up at Birkenhead Prep!
sony1

Post by sony1 »

Mostyn studied Spanish - a far better option than French ...in my opinion.

in fact - Ancient Greek is probably more useful than French....though not much! :lol:

So pleased that 3 more teachers from mostyn have found employment. Great news.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

...Except when your cousin, aunt and uncle live in France! I understand why Mostyn only studied one language but it does feel like a weakness in the curriculum.

My DD loves Greek. I think its value will increase, especially as the axe starts to fall on the Mickey Mouse subjects used to boost (state) schools' position in the league tables.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

one language is bit limited really - if someone wants to study "languages" they may want to have 2 - though obvioulsy can start to learn de novo at university
sony1

Post by sony1 »

One language is limited........so better with more popular and widely spoken spanish, than french, if you only have one choice. And in a school with only 110 pupils you would only expect one choice, I think.

More sport at BHS would be good.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

The point I was making was that it was because Mostyn only offered one language (and various other issues!) that it only had 110 pupils.

I would estimate the girls at BS do 5 times the amount of sport of the girls at BHSA. Handy if you don't want a big behind by the time you leave school!
sony1

Post by sony1 »

And the point i was making was....... in my opinion, Spanish is a more useful language than French. I was not commenting on the amount of languages offered, or the reasons behind the downfall of MHS... did your daughter go to MHS then?

However...If you are looking for comparisons......I know nothing about BHSA, i have not had a child attend there, so could not comment, but the sport at Mostyn was way more than that at Birkenhead School and the variety of sport was probably 3 times more! Fantastic for active kids! :)
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Point taken. It is very important not to mix up your BSs and BHSs though.

Two very different, separate (and non-communicating!) schools.

I am intrigued about your comment about sport. My DD at BS does netball, lacrosse, hockey in the winter rounders, tennis and athletics in the summer. She has 1 full afternoon a week plus a PE lesson. In addition there are weekly practices after school in each sport and a match on Saturday maybe 2 out of 3 Saturdays.
What's missing?