Good Luck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Yes, my son has just come home to report that it was much harder than either of the practice papers. Very hard vocab.
kittyhola

Post by kittyhola »

Spoke to Head at morning break to put my mind at ease that DD had coped with her cough and he volunteered the info that it had been a hard paper with some ambiguous questions. So I shouldn't have been surprised by DD's reaction. She said first 30 or so questions were ok but then it got hard. Its going to be a long wait til March..... wonder if next week will be easier or whether this was the easy paper. OMG!
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Hi kittyhola, thanks for the info.

I've now had a bit of a debriefing session with my son. Time wasn't a problem, he had 15 minutes to go back and check answers. However out of the 80 questions he had to guess 13. Normally it's 1 or 2.

Removed by a moderator, too much information can give late testers an unfair advatage

Pretty difficult, compared to the practise papers I've seen (and that's pretty much all the ones with 21 types of question including Walsh). This is particularly true for Nfer as they seem to be one of the easiest.

I seem to remember that with the Wirral you have to pass both papers and it's not an average score. Does anybody know if that's correct?

kittyhola

Post by kittyhola »

I thought that as long as they pass the magic 236 - as a combined score then that was ok. But I may be wrong. DD got 2nd of those missing 3 letter type but we still can't work out others! Your son did well to give such detailed feedback - my DD doesn't remember individual questions. Good luck for next week.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Hi-Bet you glad today's paper is over!
Sounds like it was a tough one but I'm sure your children have done fine.
Sometimes it is hard to judge and some children will think they did badly but it's just that they are a tougher judge of themselves and others will think that they've done brilliantly when really they have lower standards. I suppose only us parents know our own children best.
Hope they are all relaxing tonight though!
Kittyhola-did your DD answer most of the questions within time?

Cyberbird-having looked at the Secondary admissions booklet online it would appear that the 2 scores are added together and the passmark is then taken from this total so in theory you could do badly on one paper but catch up on the other.
Dee

Post by Dee »

My DS thought it was hard too and he's been getting really good marks in the practise papers. He's just said the above were the 3 he struggled with. Looking at 1 and 2 I can't get them!!! :(
kittyhola

Post by kittyhola »

Yeh - she finished the paper so that's good isn't it. Haven't heard of anyone who thought it easy so I guess that good too! She guessed 'a few' but is getting fed up with my spanish inquisition so I can't ask her anything else. She's a July birthday- so that's good too! Can't believe how positive I'm starting to sound cos don't feel it!
Dee

Post by Dee »

Yeh I'm sure she will be fine. If everyone found it hard that must be reflected in the marking :idea:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Can I ask you all to be careful not to post specific questions/types as this can give late testers an unfair advantage.

Thank you

Patricia
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Dee wrote:Yeh I'm sure she will be fine. If everyone found it hard that must be reflected in the marking :idea:
I think you're right. I've found this http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm which suggests that the average mark for a test is used and set as the score of 100. The score of 136 and above reflects those children in the top 10% irrespective of their actual mark.

Does anybody know how many people take the Wirral test (approximately)?

I can't dind anything about the 11+ on Wirral Councils website. I'm still a bit concerned that you have to pass both tests for the Wirral because I remember something posted on this forum that it was different for the Bucks 11+.