Re: Help with question

Post by fast trak »

JAPES????????

cudve never imagined this even

thanks a lot
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Time to get them watching just William if they are reverting to language from the 1950s
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Jolly japes! Sounds very Secret Seven, Famous Five or Malory Towers to me. Or perhaps Chalet School! How knowing that makes you more likely to get good GCSEs in Year 11 is beyond me. But knowing a word like that could get you that one more mark that wins you the place. We are huge fans of Just William, our favourite one is William the Intruder when he gets on Robert's bike and does not know how to get off. My 13yr old dd laughs so much when reading it that she can't continue. It also always makes me think of the little boy in Once who got such strength from Just William. Do lots of Y5/Y6s read William? We picked it up two books from the end of a boot sale unread. Hope that does not reflect the general interest. DG
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Ah yes, my DS loved reading the Just William books 2 or 3 years ago, about the time we were preparing for the 11+, and we even bought the old series on DVD that I used to watch as a child - before the newer version was filmed. Memories, memories... Definitely helped with vocabulary though!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

At primary school my teacher used to read these to us:

Down with Skool! A Guide to School Life for Tiny Pupils and their Parents (1953)
How to be Topp: A Guide to Sukcess for Tiny Pupils, Including All There is to Kno about Space (1954)
Whizz for Atomms: A Guide to Survival in the 20th Century for Fellow Pupils, their Doting Maters, Pompous Paters and Any Others who are Interested (1956)
Back in the Jug Agane (1959)
aargh

Post by aargh »

Yes excellent as eny fule kno
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

oh chiz, eggsplanes why my speling is do gud
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I loved those books.

:D
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I loved those books when I was young. Used to laugh so hard I couldn't breathe even though I was a girl at a comp with no experience of public or boarding school. DH loved them too and now so do our children. They don't date. They are brilliant. Good for japes style vocab too, though that hadn't occurred to me before.
fast trak

Post by fast trak »

team (tame) mite

tear ( ) ache