VR help please

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Popsiemum

VR help please

Post by Popsiemum »

We inherited some practice papers ( without answers)and materials and I have only just began to work with my son, but finding this whole VR thing very confusing.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with the following:

1) Choose the 2 words that are not related. The other 3 words are related in some way.

screech, beak, scrabble, scrap, talon

In terms of these sort of word VR questions ( as opposed to the letters/ patterns/ sequence ones), is there a book on techniques that actually explains the rationale behind why eg. It is these words that is the solution).

Thank you in advance for your help.
dr_prerna

Re: VR help please

Post by dr_prerna »

hi, the words screech, beak and talon relates to a bird, the other two are not..so scrap and scrabble should be the answer! however it would be very difficult for you to do these without the answers as I just started with my daughter I need to check answers a lot!! hope it helps!!
Popsiemum

Post by Popsiemum »

Thank you!

Initially, I thought it was talon and beak ( nouns) and screech, scrabble and scrape (verbs).

Unfortunately, we inherited the papers and do not have the answers. Guess they are not much use and we'll have to get the actual book with answers included.

Is there a help book that actually explains the 'GL reasoning' for these wordy VR questions. On quite a few other occasions, I've come across word type questions whete there's been 2 possible answers. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are "how to " books available, including in the on line shop on this website (see the drop-down labelled "Shop" at the top of the page).
scary mum
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Hi, yes there is a book specifically for verbal reasoning by GL that explains how to do all the question types. It's available on Amazon
Bambi 175

Post by Bambi 175 »

Sent you a pm.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

That's not a great question in my opinion. My initial answer was also the same as Popsiemum but actually you also have three words starting with "scr" which surely is something that makes them related.
Popsiemum

Post by Popsiemum »

Thank you all for your responses / help. As we go through the practice papers, there seems to be quite a few questions with very ambiguous answers. Are real life GL papers like that also?