Missing thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

welshguesty

Post by welshguesty »

Patricia

Intersted in what you say about the Tiffin exams
As, we now know... Tiffin use the same NFER VR tests as Bucks, it is no harder, no easier.

and

"There are a variery of Publishers that emulate the 21 types as used by Tiffin. These include IPS, AFN, The Tutors, Susan Daughtrey [ Bright Sparks only] and of course Walsh. "

The Tiffin website states that although tests are set by NFER at the schools request, these tests are in no way similar to anything that can be purchased by the public and therefore, children will not be able to practice for these tests. Is this a case of the school trying to pull the wool over parents eyes or is this an indicator that NFER could change the contents of the paper without notice. Either way how do you know that they use 21 types (or is this general knowledge)?
welshguesty

Post by welshguesty »

sorry. Obviously a bit thick!!

The section within the quote starting with 'The Tiffin website' and running to 'general knowledge' is my question and not a quote!!
Louise

Post by Louise »

The fact that Tiffin 'use' the 21 types is not general knowledge, it's very different in bucks because the 11+ is used as the education system in the county therefore there is alot of information that comes from primary schools in Bucks because all children sit the 11+, those that fail go to upper schools. With Tiffin its very different, it's the only grammar in South West London and there are no grammars in the county of Surrey at all therefore information as to content is very thin on the ground. I know alot of children who go to Tiffin and who are being tutored so I'm just going by what I hear. It's very easy to get bogged down with what will be in the Tiffin exams, but actually no-one knows exactly. Best papers to use are AFN, Bright Sparks, Walsh and Tutors.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Welshguesty

You cannot buy NFER VR in the shops that emulate the Tiffin test

Shop bought NFER only contains 15 types of questions, the NFER VR test used by Bucks, Wirral And Tiffin [ and probably a few others] contain 21 types

Its only been the last few years that other publishers have realised that they need to be using these extra 6 types. Hence the Tiffin website says you cannot buy in the shops it's probably talking about NFER, and is technically correct.

It has now become 'common' knowledge, and so it should be. Parents need to know its a level playing field, one of my main reasons for posting is to help parents DIY

Hope this makes sense

Patricia

Ps Louise .....the papers you state are the publishers of the 21 types [+IPS]

We should also remember that if its only one test for VR, then all 21 are NOT going to come up, need to teach them all but only approx 12 will turn up.

Post by Guest »

We know that Bucks children do two 11+ papers which cover all 21 types of questions, does that mean that NFER offer Tiffin School these same two test papers and they just pick one?? Or do NFER prepare one exam paper especially for Tiffin covering all 21 types?
welshguesty

Post by welshguesty »

Thank you Patricia and Louise

It is all starting to make sense.
Jess

Post by Jess »

I started this thread and I have to say I'm a bit frustrated. For the first time we have had contact from a local tutor in this area, something for which I've been pleading for a few months. I'm very grateful for the info that Patricia has posted re the VR exam, but Tiffin has an NVR exam too and we could do with some advice on that and on more general issues where Tiffin is concerned. 'Tiffs Tutor' may well have provided that, which would have been hugely helpful to those of us willing and able to buck the local trend and DIY tutor. With only one grammar school, this is a highly competitive area and other parents/tutors tend to be very secretive.
For reasons thus far unexplained, the thread to which 'Tiffs Tutor' was contributing has been removed. I assume from the postings that some people have been told of the 'circumstances' that led to this. Any chance that the rest of us could be so enlightened? I fervently hope that it does not result in 'Tiffs Tutor' disappearing from the forum so soon after he/she has joined. We need him/her.

Jess
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now