Anyone for Wilson's???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Home at last! I must say that I couldn't understand why the school bothered with the surname letter thing as no-one bothered to stand there and there was just a big scrum at the end of the day.

All of you whose sons are now finished with exams - please have a lovely, relaxing time and let them eat chocolate and watch TV!!!! Pity poor ds who has another one on Thursday and his last one next Tuesday.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

WorryQueen wrote:Hi,

Yes we are also glad it is all over and done with! I thought that the organisation was much better last year.

The school will send out letters similar to Wallington Boys at the end of Jan or beg of Feb. You will know whether you have passed or failed and whether you are going to be offered a place.

Good Luck!
I would say that you will be given an indication of whether you would have qualified for a place given previous years breakdown unless you are lucky enough to be in the top however many and get a guaranteed place. We weren't given exact scores just you scored over whatever the number was and therefore would have qualified in previous years. There are other letters which say you have passed but may not get a place and there are fail letters. Sorry to sound like I'm splitting hairs but unless you are in the top say 150 you will still only get an indication as it will depend on the distribution of applications. Would hate people to think they will get a definite answer.... :D
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am glad they at least give you an indication of how the children have done!

Whilst we are on the subject,do Sgs and Tiffin send results even if you are not given a place?

I think ds would like to know how he did in all the tests. :lol:
WorryQueen

Post by WorryQueen »

Hi,

Yes sorry Surrymum. You have it exactly right! I did not really explain myself properly. Yes they only give you an indication based on what happened in previous years.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Shaftesbury 1, yes Tiffin do send your mark (whether or not it's high enough to be offered a place) and tell you the lowest mark needed for a place in the initial offers.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

If you pass Sutton and are offered a place you don't know your result as they want all the kids to start with a level playing field. If you don't pass they give you a break down of your results.
ardmore

Unusually cold weather today

Post by ardmore »

Dear Surreymum and Others
I wish all the best to our DSs to finish this Wilson. The boys would be back to normal life atleast from tomorrow.
For my DS it was all over not the way we would have liked. He was taking it in the aternoon. During the main break, they were asked to leave the building but not via the cloakroom to take their jackets/coats. My boys was shivering in cold for the entire break putting his hands in his pockets. On reentry to building for English paper, he completely lost grip and could not write at all for several minutes. He attracted the attention of the invigilator to explain the situation, he was encouraged to do his best.
He was not satisfied himself and kept on telling me, he will not be able pass on his way back home.

I would like to request you what should I do now? I intend to call the school tomorrow to discuss about it.
Surreymum, I really like to benefit from your advice. He passed Wallintgton not with good score ( 329) so most likely he will not be offered a place there. He prepared well for Wilson..
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

ardmore, my ds had exactly the same problem although he did not mention it to the invigilator. I should think most of the boys had very cold hands after the break.

I don't know what the school can do about it - perhaps they will just be more sensible next year.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

My ds was in the morning slot and when waiting to collect him,i noticed the arrival of a big blow heater! it got me thinking as to whether the halls were cold?

It was one of the first things i asked ds who was in the main hall,but he was fine.I will ask him once he gets back from school as to where he spent the break time?

It is true that they cannot do anything about the weather but that they didn't have to send the kids out without their coats? It was freezing yesterday!That was a bit harsh imho!

Ardmore,if i were in your position,i would at least ring up and complain giving your son's cand. no. and maybe even write to them? I don't know if they will do anything but at least you will bring it to their attention before the results.But i am not experienced,i hope someone more knowledgeable will help you.Hopefully your ds has done better than he thinks and all will be well.

So i am glad we will know the results for the rest of the tests even if it is in march!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi Ardmore

I think you need to write to the school expressing your concerns. I think all the boys will have been affected and I don't think there is anything you can do about it now. However if your son was borderline and you had formally recorded your concerns before the results it may make a difference at appeal.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but you would kick yourself if you hadn't done anything and a telephone call will have no formal record. (You can of course do both but I would definitely put concerns in writing)

Pretty crass of the school on one of the coldest days of the year

Hopefully he will have done better than he thinks and it won't matter :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now