Waiting List for Tiffin

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Waiting List for Tiffin

Post by mad? »

Sorry Louise2 but I think they will...as the original selection criteria apply...hence last year someone going down a place the 2nd round.
mad?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The waiting list is strictly in order of the oversubscrition so preference is irrelevant.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

Not according to the appeal three years ago where a friend of mine used that argument for her dd and lost her appeal, she was offered her first choice but scored highly in the Tiffin exam and asked to be put on waiting list, she had a change of heart post offers. Maybe its changed in the last couple of years, can't keep up to be honest its always changing. One thing I do know for sure Tiffin don't hunt around for the brightest like some other schools.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Louise2 wrote:Maybe its changed in the last couple of years, can't keep up to be honest its always changing. One thing I do know for sure Tiffin don't hunt around for the brightest like some other schools.
The first time I heard of it was 2 years ago so that would make sense and yes...they don't and all credit to them for that IMO.
mad?
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

It may have changed when they became a foundation school and are now responsible for their own admissions arrangement rather than Kingston council as was the case before.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The school admissions code set out the statutory requirements of the waiting list.
Each admission authority must maintain a waiting list for at least one term in the academic year of admission, for every oversubscribed school, and it must include the fact it will do this in their school’s published admission arrangements, making clear that children will be ranked in the same order as the published oversubscription criteria. Waiting lists must be clear, fair and objective and must not give priority to children based on the date either their application was received or their name was added to the list. For example, if a child moves to an area outside the normal admissions round and has higher priority against the published oversubscription criteria, they must be ranked above those with lower priority already on the list, subject to the requirements of paragraph 3.21.
http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/sacode/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Hello all, I posted about this last year. My daughter was on the waiting list for Tiffins and moved down because girls who had been offered a higher ranked school decided to rejoin the waiting list for Tiffins. So if your daugter scored 235 and is 3rd on the waiting list, another girl who has scored 236 and been offered a place at another school can join the waiting list for Tiffins and your daughter will drop to 4th place. This was certainly happening last year, I do not think it was allowed in previous years.

Personally I find it really objectionable that parents are allowed to rejoin at this stage, the application stage is the time to make your preferences clear. I remember the lady I spoke to at Tiffins was apologetic/sympathetic saying she didn't think it should be allowed either!!

Bilu, your daughter has done so well, fingers crossed that she gets a place. I think as you are ranked 3rd she still has a very, very good chance.
Bilu

Post by Bilu »

DIY Mum 3, i whole heartedly agree with your sentiment, the system as presently operated allows some a second bite at the cherry!

May i understand that your DC was successful in getting in from WL last year , would you share what her ranked position was initially. Judging from the stats last year 1170 children took the TGS entrance tests in 2010 with 13 offered 2nd round, this year its 1171 applicants. I expect similar numbers this year, but possibly somewhat less!

Thanks

Bilu
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Bilu, I will send you a PM
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

DIY Mum3 wrote:

Personally I find it really objectionable that parents are allowed to rejoin at this stage, the application stage is the time to make your preferences clear.
I absolutely agree, DIY Mum3. The application process makes it perfectly clear that you'll be offered one place and you should put the school you want most highest on the list. Surely that's simple enough to understand. Once people are allowed to start adding themselves to waiting lists of lower placed schools, it makes rather a mockery of the system.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now