WCGS for boys - Reading Book

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wildlaulau

Re: WCGS for boys - Reading Book

Post by wildlaulau »

ThreeKids, thanks for the info about the cafe, etc at Wallington exam - there's not many other places round there to while away the time!

Today I was on the train when 3 Wilson's boys and a Wallington boy sat next to me on the train. They were telling each other all about the food and how they got detention if they were one minute late! I heard all about the teachers and how the y7s had to run to their lockers to get their blazers out before the next lesson! I was entertained for a good 25 minutes or so! I almost felt like asking them about the entrance test but of course I didn't say a word! They all seemed really happy.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi there three kids. As you seem to have a child already at WCGS I was wondering if you may be able to remember the kind of scores he was getting in his practice papers just before the test ? Am becoming ever more paranoid as the time draws closer. Also if you have a child at Wilson's that info would be useful for there as well ?

Many thanks
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

mynameisbond wrote:Hi there three kids. As you seem to have a child already at WCGS I was wondering if you may be able to remember the kind of scores he was getting in his practice papers just before the test ? Am becoming ever more paranoid as the time draws closer.
Only have one at WCGS at the moment. I'm not sure that telling you the scores is really going to help you to be honest - he was consistently getting over 90%, most usually over 95% with the occasional 100% and the occasional dip to around 90%.

When he sat WCGS he did so as a mock. We had no intention whatsoever of him going there at that time, so he was completely relaxed. He did the Sutton Grammar Mock and did OK on that, but not spectacularly, and was helped quite a lot by a high score on that years NVR paper (which was somewhat useless as of course the NVR paper isn't in the boys tests). Have to say I was a little nervous at that point.

Anyway he got into WCGS quite comfortably thank-you, there were a lot of marks between his and the cut-off mark on national offer day.

So from that you should draw - Yes DS scored highly on the bond papers, but he also scored highly on the actual exam and there were a lot of boys who scored a lot less and were also succesful. So if your son is scoring equally well on the bond papers then he stands a very good chance of getting a place I would guess, and if he averages less on the bond papers then I think he is still in with a very good chance, and in any event it's all down to the day itself. DS was as relaxed as he could be, especially as we had a good long stroll in Beddington Park beforehand killing some time as we were very very early.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Thank you three kids. My son is regularly scoring around 95% on the bond maths and over 90 on the English and VR Bond papers. However when I have given him the NFER papers to do his scores have dipped to around 80-85% on both so that's why I asked my original question as was in some way trying to gauge the difficulty of the exam.

It's so nerve-wracking. We went through the same with our daughter two years ago who is now at Tiffin Girls and I find myself constantly comparing their scores and then realising there are more places for boys and maybe he doesn't have to be scoring as highly as she was to be successful. Time will tell though and thank you again, and to everyone who is so helpful on this forum.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

No problem. Sounds to me like you are in with a very good shot, and I wish your son all the very best on Saturday. Feel free to ask any more questions. DD has her heart set on Tiffin this year, so I may well be picking your brain in due course. Indeed I guess I'm hoping to need to!
esh

Post by esh »

My son is now scoring around 90% on GL papers and 80-85% on Bond, I am wondering if he stands a chance at all. Certainly far from scoring 95%+. With just 3 days to go I doubt if he will stand a chance. Help please, I am panicking now has anyone been in a similar situation and managed to secure a place? thanks
svg123

Post by svg123 »

esh .. I think there is no point panicking at this stage. Whether your son scores 85 or 95 in bond/GL assessment, it doesn't reflect the true exam results. Just make sure he is relaxed and does well. Show your support and encourage.

I have not even tested my son. Just trying to revise the concepts with him and give enough confidence so he performs better.

Good luck all.
esh

Post by esh »

Thank you and all the best.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Above all - Don't panic. What will be will be and it's important I believe for your son to be relaxed on the day and prepared to do his best rather than feeling pressured. The kids that are getting in the 90+ region are coming in generally quite high up the list. As I said to DS when he joined the school there are going to be some kids that have it all - Great at sports, always top of the class, all round nice guys and good looks to cap it. But there will be more 'competent' kids who may shine in one or two areas or not shine anywhere but be solid throughout. You should I guess always aim to be the 'super' kid, but 'competent' is actually very good too.

My view is that if my kids don't make it into the selectives then they would never have been happy there anyway. Think of it as a test to guage where your son will be the most happy and embrace any result as the help it is in chosing where to commit the next 7 years of your childs life. So relax, breathe deep, take along some chocolate biscuits and enjoy the day.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

ThreeKids wrote:Above all - Don't panic. What will be will be and it's important I believe for your son to be relaxed on the day and prepared to do his best rather than feeling pressured. The kids that are getting in the 90+ region are coming in generally quite high up the list. As I said to DS when he joined the school there are going to be some kids that have it all - Great at sports, always top of the class, all round nice guys and good looks to cap it. But there will be more 'competent' kids who may shine in one or two areas or not shine anywhere but be solid throughout. You should I guess always aim to be the 'super' kid, but 'competent' is actually very good too.

My view is that if my kids don't make it into the selectives then they would never have been happy there anyway. Think of it as a test to guage where your son will be the most happy and embrace any result as the help it is in chosing where to commit the next 7 years of your childs life. So relax, breathe deep, take along some chocolate biscuits and enjoy the day.
:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now