Sutton Grammar Mock Test Results 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
laretta

Re: Sutton Grammar Mock Test Results 2012

Post by laretta »

Hi
If you mean the ones at wally girls, we did them last year. We were not impressed, many children cam out saying they had already seen the paper, so results were I feel not a true reflection within cohort. Also they sent the papers home afterwards which highlight that the test format was a little childish IMHO. That said, I still think they're worth doing as it all adds to test condition experience.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

OK I'm happy to share.

DS passed the English but not the maths :( . However, we're not too disheartened as he only spotted that he'd missed out two pages of the maths (pages stuck together) when they were told that they had a few minutes left to go.

Don't really know what to make of a pass in the English as it was a mixed paper with some VR and English comprehension. Would have been useful to have a breakdown of those scores.

Anyway, as everyone says it was good experience and hopefully he's got all the silly mistakes out of his system............ :D
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Since I am not the first I'll contribute - I wasn't sure if it was the 'done thing'.

DD did really well and was inside the top 10% but we need to be getting that sort of result for Kendrick. Her standardised scores for the 2 were only 1 mark apart - the real thing is VR and NVR rather than English and Maths so I hope it translates
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

I think it would have been far more useful to have the results split by VR/NVR/English/Maths.

That said, the results for my daughter simply reinforce what I already know, strong showing in English, maths needs a bit more attention.
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

Valuable experience for DS to be sitting a test in exam conditions.

Results told us though that he needs work with both subjects, especially Maths, which we thought was his stronger subject.
SlummyMummy

Post by SlummyMummy »

Laretta- thanks again for recommending the Mock test.
DD did well but we clearly have to focus on VR and English in the coming weeks, which is what she said when she came out of the test and the results show that too. She passed both, but there's a big gap between Maths and English performance. 12 weeks to go for the real thing...
Does anyone know how the difficulty level compares between the Mock and real Nonsuch and Tiffin tests?
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi SM
You're welcome.
It is tough to gauge difficulty as we never get to see the papers used in Sutton mocks or the real thing. To give an indication, my dd no 2 was within the top 10% for the Sutton mock, She was offered her 1st choice Nonsuch, but would not have been if she was out of area. She did not achieve the cut off for Tiffin. She scored highly enough for Wallington girls for an out of area place. My dd no 1 who scored much less in the mock, narrowly missing the pass mark scored almost as well in the real thing and also very comfortably achieved an in catchment offer for Nonsuch.
So basically, it is an indicator, but not much more. I suppose those who score very very highly, say top 5%, can be more certain of an out of area or Tiffin offer and those who score very very low are unlikely to pass, but even that is not set in stone.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I would agree with Laretta,

The mocks are certainly a useful indicator but not much more than that (and I certainly hope that's the case this time around for us :D ).

DD1 passed the mock, but only just, but she scored extremely highly in the Nonsuch test and got a top 50 place (when ooc was only 50 places). DD2 may well have "failed" at least one element of the mock but also won a place at Nonsuch. I also know of girls who failed the mock completely but got into Tiffins.

You also have to consider that this test had very little NVR (according to DS anyway) and that is a big part of both the Nonsuch and Tiffins tests. Certainly in the case of Tiffins, I would say that NVR is the tougher paper - much harder to finish in the given time.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Joining this late, but I would reiterate what has been said above. DS1 did pass the Sutton Mock, but only by dint of the fact that he scored highly in the NVR paper at a time when none of the boys tests included NVR :? Anyway - he went on to get in comfortably. DD didn't pass, and her result was pretty much in line with her later performance - strong in English & all things language related, not strong enough in maths/logic. DS2 sits this year. He was just off the passmark in the mock having not completed approx a third of the English paper. It's unclear as to whether he ran out of time or simply couldn't be bothered to complete the English :roll: I await with interest!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now