Tiffin/Sutton Common Entrance test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TiffinGirls

Re: Tiffin/Sutton Common Entrance test

Post by TiffinGirls »

My own opinion is that there should be an exam which tests aptitude only and which is impossible to tutor for. I think it competition to get into these grammar schools has become such an arms race that even very bright children are at a considerable disadvantage against the ranks of the over-tutored.

In respect of the proposals, while it seems to reduce the burden of attending many tests, it does seem to place an intolerable burden on children. If someone has an off-day, there are no second chances? What happens in respect of the resit for people who are sick that day, do they do the same paper or another one?

I also find the assumption that maths and English won't be tutored for to be laughable. There are definitely differences between primary schools and obviously the best taught have a considerable advantage despite the ability of individual children. While I haven't seen the tests it strikes me that those preparing for independents will also have some advantage as English and maths prepartion is common. Once again the most disadvantaged will miss out.

I am wondering how many and which schools are actually involved in this? I think it would have to be several to make it worthwhile. I also think it would be absurd if someone could get into Sutton Grammar on a score of say 300 but Tiffin on 280 or Tiffin Girls on 350.

As an appeals panel member (though I don't sit for these schools), I am also wondering how a bright child can win an appeal if they are not invited to the second round. I suppose they would have to provide evidence of extraordinary ability from the Head of their primary school, as well as evidence of circumstances why they did badly in the screening test.

My own experience suggests that not all the 1500 sitting the tests are grammar standard. I know of people who have tutored for 2 years and failed because the child was not of the ability and the tutor was either ignorant or just took the money. I have also heard of independent school applicants who take the tests as insurance (imagining the state grammars are easier to get into!) or people who just decide to have a go. Even within the grammar standard there is quite a big range. My DD can identify girls in her year who are below the standard of the rest but probably overtutored.