Tiffin Schools - Admission Arrangements 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Schools - Admission Arrangements 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

Coming to subjects to be tested, one parent told me that a local girls indie has changed the tests to NVR and VR only (dropping English & Maths) and has written to the prospective parents that change was made as they found that most girls were heavily tutored in English and Maths. :roll: :roll:

Wait till they find out about tutoring in NVR/VR. :?
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

The best solution would be to move the school to the centre of Kingston???? :lol: :lol:

In order to remain one of the best state schools, open selection is the only way forward. Just refer to HBS.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

tabasco wrote:37/50, 33/40, 72/80 381.060 catchment CCHS
Oh dear, yes yes, Tiffins should be the open selective as long as 'our local grammars' retain their catchment area. :roll: :roll:

The problem is as long as most grammars have catchment/proximity policies, children of Kingston don't get the same level playing field. I would have no problem if all the 164 grammars were to become open selective, including Tiffins. Just Tiffin and handful of others - No.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:
Oh dear, yes yes, Tiffins should be the open selective as long as 'our local grammars' retain their catchment area. :roll: :roll:

The problem is as long as most grammars have catchment/proximity policies, children of Kingston don't get the same level playing field. I would have no problem if all the 164 grammars were to become open selective, including Tiffins. Just Tiffin and handful of others - No.
The above result is not my DD's it belongs to someone we know. :D
I agree with you that all GS should be openly selective. :D
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

tiffinboys wrote:

Most people don't have access to a grammar school at all, so your complaint is a little dubious.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Just checked my CAF, I put Tiffin 3rd behind two comps. Both have catchments of under 1 mile, and we are 5+ miles away, so I assume we will get allocated Tiffin in the almost certain event that we are out of catchment for both?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

twelveminus wrote:Just checked my CAF, I put Tiffin 3rd behind two comps. Both have catchments of under 1 mile, and we are 5+ miles away, so I assume we will get allocated Tiffin in the almost certain event that we are out of catchment for both?
Always good to be local. You might get lucky if they are undersubscribed. :D
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

twelveminus wrote:
Most people don't have access to a grammar school at all........
How is that children from Kingston should suffer because your LA abolished or never had grammar schools?

Ever wonder, why other grammars have catchment area or proximity rules? Some areas have 14 to 31 grammars, where OOC stand almost no chance. Why Kingston has to fill the gap for your area?
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Personally I think the ideal scenario should be a selective school within easy travelling distance for all DCs which are qualified to apply for. Of couse not everyone will get in that why it is selective based on academic ability. Until such time all selective schools should be openly selective. Because no DCs should be deprive of the opportunity if he or she is very able but due to family circumstances are unable to live near to a selective school (ie. within catchment). :D
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

This only reason why The Tiffin (both boy anfd Girl) Schools are so desirable are because they are openly selective and have the most able cohort of DCs with the best 11+ scores. As a result their academic results are at the top end of the league table. If a catchment is set the calibre of the pupil will no doubt not being as good as being openly selective. Then Tiffin will not be the Tiffin as they are today????? :)