Tiffins and Cabinet Office Report

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
panicattack

Re: Tiffins and Cabinet Office Report

Post by panicattack »

My previous point was not for or against catchments in itself. The debate I think was on what helps the poorer sections of the community. A smallish catchment area containing well- off areas (eg. broadly the areas in and around Kingston) would not help the poorer sections of the community. A catchment which would include mainly deprived areas would, of course.

Getting rid of NVR and to an extent VR would level the playing field more, though might impoverish one or two Tiffin specific tutors! Wilson's only has Maths and English in the exam. It doesn't stop tutoring of course but NVR in an exam means that tutoring or lots of home practice is all but essential. The Tiffin schools should phase these out. (And yes I know TGS is now a two-part exam!)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

panicattack wrote:
Getting rid of NVR and to an extent VR would level the playing field more, though might impoverish one or two Tiffin specific tutors!
They will start calling themselves experts in Eng/Maths. A well known one from area to the North of TGS did move to coach for TGS stage 2 test, using GL papers, according to a parent. :roll: No surprize that the poor girl wasn't well prepared for the type of TGS tests.

On the subject of catchment, a catchment covering Kingston borough and reasonable surrounding area, would cover the disadvantaged children of this area as well. I hope, no one is suggesting that Tiffins should be making provision for disadvantaged children for whatever area comes under the sky. It is for their LAs to make adequate arrangements.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Given that there are near-zero disadvantaged (FSM) children at the Tiffin schools at the moment, allocating a certain number of places for them (where ever they live) would seem like a good idea.

I know some of the independent schools do this.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good idea.
Means tested allocations to state schools would be a novelty. As this is supposed to benefit local disadvantaged children, using distance would be better.

Independents do give some Assisted places or means-tested bursaries, to keep their charity status.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Independent schools are not required to give bursaries to maintain charitable status, there was some talk of it, but it never came to be.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Quite right. They are not required to, but 'do give'.

If they don't, they are likely to be treated just as Starbucks - as tax evaders without any benefit to general public.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

I believe most prep/private primary schools offer little or no financial help.

I don't think it's a question of tax evasion, a la Starbucks, since, unlike Starbucks, the schools are (generally) not set up to make a profit, but to educate the children of parents who pay the fees, at a cost covered by the fees paid.

The question of whether this activity by itself amounts to charitable activity, has I believe been answered in the affirmative. While the local Scouts might only charge £2/week, they too only benefit those who attend, the real difference is the cost.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I don't think that Charity Commission agrees with this simplistic view, and has put pressure for increased funding for means-tested bursaries and assistance to other community schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now