Are the Tiffin Schools that much better than other grammars?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dlb

Re: Are the Tiffin Schools that much better than other gramm

Post by dlb »

Yes, does sound a bit worrying - so although TGS is "super selective", when a child gets there, it's not as superior over other grammar schools as the hype makes out????
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Personally, I quite like the TGS ethos that they are not going to be spoonfed and must work hard to get the results - especially if they are going to have to work hard at uni. BUT I think the other side of that coin is outstanding teaching in the lessons they do have.

I think the teaching up to GCSE is generally OK. Some teachers are better than others and some students have more aptitude for certain subjects. Most girls get A or A* in most subjects. The school has a lot of trips (at a price) and there is the opportunity to get involved in music and lots of other extra curricula activities, although the school is not as plush or well equipped as the west London independents.

For A level, I think whatever choice you make of school is walking a tight-rope. I tend to think that the most successful independent schools either have better teachers or spoon feed; this could make adjusting to Uni life more difficult, I always think the uni teachers are there to facilitate study rather than offer vast levels of support - though that is it is a matter of personal opinion.

Girls starting at year 7 in TGS now might have a vastly different experience in 5 years time. I am disappointed that the change of Head a couple of years back has not really changed the school into a more caring place as I thought it would.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

"There is currently no where for private study and the girls are not trusted enough to leave the school during the day. While most girls are friendly some are quite nasty and immature the school leaves them to it. "

This sounds very concerning. I was aware that a new sixth form centre had been built at the school. Surely there are private study rooms there ? Has there always been this nastiness in this year group or is it something new to the sixth form ?

Our experience of the school has been that its girls have been a supportive and extremely friendly bunch, with teachers ensuring that any cliques are dealt with and encouraging an atmosphere of "telling" teachers whenever problems arise which are swiftly dealt with. I am sorry to hear that your experience has been so awful. It has certainly not been ours so far....

Please feel free to pm me anyone who would like any further positive feedback about TGS. Our daughter has been extremely happy there and has had excellent teachers and made delightful friends.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Unfortunately the Sixth Form centre did originally have a small room for private study but it has been removed. There is literally no where in the school where my DD can study in the gaps between classes.

Yes, there was always a problem with the DD's class in particular and she was bullied.

There are some good teachers but in the Sixth form the teaching is propped up by private tutoring. Some girls have been tutored throughout their TGS career. They become less secretive by year 11 or so!

In my experience the school are appalling at pastoral care.
Ela

Post by Ela »

They appointed a new head teacher's assistant for pastoral care this year. Maybe it will improve the situation. But still I hope that since the school is much smaller in comparison with some state schools, the girls will be much closer, friendlier...
It would be nice though if the forms would be mixed a bit each year (would be a chance to get away from some unbearable creatures :) )
WOTMum

Post by WOTMum »

Totally agree Ela. Our DD came from a large mixed state primary where classes were mixed each year, though they could opt to stay with friends and this was taken into account. She is in present TGS Yr8 and I feel she would really benefit from a change as little cliques have already formed, however, they do have revised split groups this year (where 2 forms are mixed then divided into 3 for Art/Tech type subjects) so that helps, plus they are set for maths this year also. I know it's not forever, ie. will presumably change a bit once GCSE options have been chosen, just would be nice for her to have a chance to get to know everyone in the year group, which is a relatively small one at 120. Pastoral side of things a really important emphasis this year, I think the girls support each other with the school's back up as they get older and become more independent from parents. Let's see how things go!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now