Elections 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: Elections 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

Peridot wrote:So the Tories have gained control in Kingston from the Lib Dems. What impact will that have on schools?
They can't speak against the idea of free hand to 'Academies', so all they can do now is possibly invite Tiffin heads to tea and plea to increase the intake of local children. Of course, the two Heads will put buckets of cold water on them and status quo will prevail. :wink:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

dlb wrote:Maybe you should stand for election next time Tiffin Boys!! Then we would keep our grammars and have local kids at them :)
But seriously, all the main parties are a waste of space over education.... don't get me going!
We live in an urban area that somehow manages not to be in catchment for ANY state secondary school. :shock: Children from our local state primary school are dispersed all over the place after year 6 because the school isn't a feeder for any secondary school and almost none of the families live close enough to the nearest secondary school (religious ethos, non-selective) to be guaranteed admission on the basis of proximity.

While canvassing, our local Conservative candidate first denied vehemently that any of the above is an issue. Then, reluctantly conceded that the problem was solved by said family (whose offspring also attended the local state primary) availing of a fee-paying secondary school. The clear implication was that we should do likewise.

Caveat: Opaque language above designed to protect anonymity. Said individual was elected. I'm still gob-smacked...
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think we should put together an EPE party 'cos we certainly couldn't make more of a mess of things than the three main parties seem to be doing at the moment. There may be quite a few candidates for Education spokesman but I'm sure we can come to an amicable arrangement!

On a serious note I am dreading the shambles that I can only see the General Election being next year.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

You might find that individual members hold to a different from their parties, which might be discernible from the publicly available results of committee votes. If none such yet exists, then you might investigate as to how a member of the public may raise such a question to the council or committee and so effectively reveal the same.

Use citizen power, and come out in strong support of those prospective candidates and current members who echo your sentiment.

BTW I live nowhere near Surrey, but lament the demise of the selective option in my own borough, and would have it reinstated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now