Wilsons Exam on 6 Oct 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: Wilsons Exam today

Post by tiffinboys »

:roll: :roll:
MaeMobley

Post by MaeMobley »

My DS found the maths harder than the English but he was one who finished the English with approx 15 mins to spare which is not a good sign.
htm123

Post by htm123 »

MaeMobley,
You might find that 15 spare minutes isn't as bad as you think, as long as your DC followed the instructions given and double checked if the most important details were included. (My DS made such a silly mistake which I think it will cost him important marks). Not the end of the world in his opinion, as he learned from it and would definitely remember not to repeat the mistake in his November's test.
jd1804

Post by jd1804 »

Why is everyone so quiet on this topic unlike other threads about St Olaves, QE etc? :o
DS found the exam good apart from a few tricky ones.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps waiting for back-up dates to pass. Wallington /Sutton still to go. :wink:
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Per Guest55 no test content must ever be revealed, so deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Ladymuck wrote:I think people are waiting for the 2nd date to pass, ie the one for those who are ill. It may be paranoia, but even a tip along the lines of "don't worry everyone found the first 2 questions of the maths paper really tough" can given quite a boost to a nervous child. And Wilson's themselves try to give as little away about the English paper as possible, so unless you had managed to quiz someone who sat last year, there is a chance that people didn't know whether to expect comprehension or short questions etc. The mods have been very quick to delete any references at all to content of the papers, which leave you with a rather bland discussion!

So true Ladymuck :)

It's now mainly waiting for the results to be out.

But then do we know what percentage of kids sitting the exam usually get the letter that they have passed Wilson's ? If it's like QE Boys then lots of people actually will think there is point in putting Wilson's as option but actually may be there is no chance for them getting through. I read the thread in QEB where it says that usually 700-800 boys achieve the pass marks of 210 !!! :roll:
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Per Guest55 no test content must ever be revealed, so deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

@Ladymuck

Thanks a lot for such useful information. Ok so that means we will get to know not only if the DSs have passed but also how many total passed.

The letter from Wilson's to those who didn't put Wilson's as first choice is interesting :lol:

What is the total number for outside catchment available in Sutton this year, any idea ?

I really don't know whether my DSs should sit for Sutton Grammar or not ? The exam itself is after the deadline of CAF. I don't know why they are doing this ?

I have got twin boys. Not knowing the pass marks and not able to compare where they stand in the list (even if I assume that they pass either Wilson's or WCGS or both), it's very tough for me to put the school in order in CAF form :(

If one DS scores high and other scores low and I put say Wilson's as my top choice and some other comprehensive school in our local area or another grammar school (if they qualify somewhere else), then there is a high chance that one will be offered Wilson's and the other DS some other school and I will be in total soup :x
jd1804

Post by jd1804 »

Very insightful, thanks Ladymuck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now