Sutton Grammar School results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: Sutton Grammar School results

Post by tiffinboys »

I think that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to make any estimate of number of IC boys who passed stage 2 tests. This is the first year, I think, that the catchment rules are being implemented. Only School would have such details of how many children are from catchment and their rank order.

Best to relax till March 2. Good Luck.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
postmanpat

Post by postmanpat »

Probably about 220 Sutton boys got to the second round. Assuming that all of them tried Sutton Grammar and also assuming that Sutton Grammar passed as much as 80% (probably a bit less than that), then you have about 176 boys who can get a place. Out of those 176, a few will have passed one or two of the other grammar schools and chosen them as their first choice and as we do not know how many, let's go for a small number, 10 for example. We are now left with 166. Some of those 166 boys will decide for private school. There again, we do not know how many but even if we go for a tiny number of just 6 for example , we now have just 160 boys left. Sutton Grammar will take the first 75 Sutton boys in the ranking order. A Sutton boy who has passed Sutton Grammar is roughly 48% likely to get in because of those 75 places on offer. In theory, as there are still 65 places for grabs whether you are from Sutton or not, the likelihood of eventually getting a place at SGS if you are local is higher than 48%. Am I being too optimistic if I say 60% ??
Please feel free to correct me.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I reckon each of the Sutton schools will need to go at least 3/4 of the way down their lists of passes ultimately to fill their places. So VERY roughly, if your son has passed one school he has a 75% chance of getting in. If passed two, the chances of getting at least one is 15/16 (ie the chances of getting none out of two is 1/4 times 1/4 = 1/16). If passed all three, the chances of getting at least one are 63/64 (ie. getting no school is a 1/4 times a 1/4 times a 1/4 =1/64 chance).

Now the variables of course are:

1. Lower chances if out of catchment.
2. If your son's passed just one, maybe more likely to finish lower ranked.
3. It's quite possible that your son could be of an ability where he's towards the bottom of the pass band in all three schools so the 63/64 probability is a bit misleading for some.

Anyway, good luck to all!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If most Sutton boys passing tests choose Wilson's or Wallington as higher preference, then many of the remaining Sutton boys would have very good chance of getting place, even if at lower ranks.
wish2014

Post by wish2014 »

Hi,
As time is nearing for the initial allocation,with no details of scores and predictions,it gets to your nerves.
What was the top score and the cutoff for 2014 entry for Sutton boys? Did the school provide details of the cutoff for ic and Ooc?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SGS loves secrecy. :lol:
pencil369

Post by pencil369 »

Secrecy is one way of looking at it, but on the other hand, by not divulging any numbers/cut off marks etc etc, it removes any debate in or out of the playground amongst boys and their parents about where they are in the pecking order, surely? You get a place on March 2, or you don't. And we all know there is movement up to the start, and often in the first term, of Year 7!

Ultimately, we ask/make our children sit the tests and if they achieve a decent score to be considered for a GS place that's all well and good. But it seems to me redundant to continually speculate and try to second guess whatever system any GS school has for admission or focus on the statistics. Benchmarking is all well and good at the mock stage, so you know if your child has a fighting chance and is 'of selective ability'. Post-the real thing, I just don't see the value in knowing. It's done, and the kids deserve to forget about it for a bit!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Transparency is always preferable. Who knew about their banding practices?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Having done the three Sutton schools with my DS a couple of years ago and now waiting to find out if my DD gets Nonsuch or Wallington from our perspective it has been really helpful in managing my DDs expectations to have the score from Nonsuch. I don't really buy into the idea that the children will be comparing scores on arrival at their new schools. Within a few weeks in my son's class it was pretty obvious who the high flyers were.Don't think having the scores would have altered that.
My dd has friends who passed Nonsuch too but she hasn't a clue what score they got.None of the parents have shared scores with each other to my knowledge either.
Also if you get a reasonable score it might help you decide not to sit indies as a back up thereby taking the pressure off some children a bit.
Wasn't there someone on here a few years ago whose daughter got a great Nonsuch score but no offer and it turned out to be an error?.You would never know that was the case without the score.
Thankfully not long to wait now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now