WCGS Vs SGS Vs Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Re: WCGS Vs SGS Vs Wilsons

Post by streathammum »

So what's everyone decided? We're leaning towards Sutton Grammar but Graveney is an easier commute (walking) and will have more local friends. I am struggling with the idea of turning down these amazing grammar schools in favour of a local semi-comp but the practicalities of getting a train at 7.20 every morning seem daunting. That said, many children near us do it and enjoy it.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Assuming travel from Streatham, the usual order goes Wilson's, Sutton, Wallington, Graveney, Greenshaw. Or some times, Wallington as second.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I know that Wilsons is very popular on this board and most people seem to have it as the first preference but neither DS nor I particularly took to it when we visited. Head's talk seemed to emphasise sport (DS is not sporty) and the atmosphere didn't feel as cosy or welcoming as the other two Sutton schools. One thing I think we have decided is that Wilsons will go on the list below Graveney, although DS's Wandsworth score was quite good so anything below Graveney is pretty academic.

Greenshaw isn't for us - too hard to get to and we have other good local schools we would choose in preference.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

One distinguishing feature is that Wilson's does GCSEs over 3 years and SGS 2. Not sure about Wallington. This means that you have to narrow your learning earlier but arguably have more time to study GCSEs in more depth and it can't harm results.

Have a look at A levels, too. Wilson's expects 4 while I think the others, two. Unis only need 3 A'levels so quite an unusual policy for Wilson's.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Most schools are moving away from 4 A levels, as the new curriculum comes in as they are more demanding. I wouldn't choose a school on the basis that they do 4 A levels currently (unless the 4th is Further or Additional Maths or General Studies) as this is liable to change. Whilst Unis only require 3 A levels, the irony is, if you are a candidate offering 4 or 5 A levels, any offer you get will be based on 4 or 5 A levels, rather than the best 3 grades...
newbie14

Post by newbie14 »

panicattack wrote:One distinguishing feature is that Wilson's does GCSEs over 3 years and SGS 2. Not sure about Wallington. This means that you have to narrow your learning earlier but arguably have more time to study GCSEs in more depth and it can't harm results.

Have a look at A levels, too. Wilson's expects 4 while I think the others, two. Unis only need 3 A'levels so quite an unusual policy for Wilson's.
Wallington does Gcses over 3 years, too...
mad?

Post by mad? »

streathammum wrote:So what's everyone decided? We're leaning towards Sutton Grammar but Graveney is an easier commute (walking) and will have more local friends. I am struggling with the idea of turning down these amazing grammar schools in favour of a local semi-comp but the practicalities of getting a train at 7.20 every morning seem daunting. That said, many children near us do it and enjoy it.
Streathammum I have enjoyed your posts and great contribution on this forum, so much so that I did not realise that you were yourself having a decision to make. Were I in your situation now no doubt I would have gone for Wilsons, reluctantly, almost feeling pressurised to do so. However, with the benefit of hindsight (DDs in Y13 and 2nd year Uni, I live in London) I would say Graveney all the way. A school you can walk to, which achieves excellent academic results for its high achieving intake, coupled with a bit of real world people being local, a community where kids are not 'bussed in' and extra curricular activities are easily accesible, not just for DS but also for his friends. I have spent my pension (if I had one!) on private education but if I had had access to a school like Graveney I would have chewed my arm off to get DC there and been more than happy. Two great friends with kids there and they (and I) are SO impressed with the school. Good luck :D
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Also, personal preference of course, but why do GCSEs over 3 years? A selective intake should be more than capable of doing them over 2, but 3 years forces them to choose too early IMO. Is the 3 year thing just schools chasing league table positions? Does it benefit DC?
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Most schools are moving away from 4 A levels, as the new curriculum comes in as they are more demanding. I wouldn't choose a school on the basis that they do 4 A levels currently (unless the 4th is Further or Additional Maths or General Studies) as this is liable to change. Whilst Unis only require 3 A levels, the irony is, if you are a candidate offering 4 or 5 A levels, any offer you get will be based on 4 or 5 A levels, rather than the best 3 grades...
Unless universities have declared that to be a new and absolute policy this year(?), it is only that you may be made an offer based on all your subjects. The Oxford Admissions FAQs still give the information that three A levels are perfectly sufficient when it comes to making a competitive application and that offers will normally only be made on three, even when more are being taken.

DS1 took four 'academic' subjects plus General Studies and all his offers (2015 entry, Biochemistry - Birmingham, UEA, York, Warwick and Southampton). were only based on three.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Interesting...was one of his academic subjects an additional Maths? Certainly all the kids I know who offered 4 (not including extra Maths or GS) had offers on 4....maybe that's just bad luck!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now