Tiffin School and Tiffin Girls draft Admission Arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Tiffin School and Tiffin Girls draft Admission Arrangements

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin School:
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... %202018%20(22%20Nov%20v3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).pdf

Tiffin Girls School:
http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... 8.pdf.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dadathome

Re: Tiffin School and Tiffin Girls draft Admission Arrangeme

Post by dadathome »

Many thanks for posting, tiffinboys, though I'm afraid the first link doesn't work...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, dadathome.

I will try to repost the link.

Document could be accessed from this web page.

http://tiffinschool.co.uk/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

I rarely come on here nowadays (my DD is in year 10) which means she starts Sixth form in 2018

Her year is the first of the 150 pupils, the year above (and earlier years) are only 120 pupils

I have observed that the 2017 admission is 140-150 girls, but 2018 admission is 150-170 girls, therefore seems they are cutting external applicants for sixth form (as was potentially 30 places, plus more if some TGS year 11 decide to go elsewhere)

Section 11.3 used to say (2017 version) guarantees minimum of 20 and more places may be available depending on choices.... Its now just a minimum 20 (the word guarantee has gone, and the references to more have gone)

There is a table of how many applied and got in (section 13) in the 2017 admissions document, but this section has been deleted completely from 2018 draft (new section 13 used to be section 14 so is renumbered.

There is a new section 18 which seems to allow a form of clearing for those who turn up in person on the day after exam results, with results printout, to be considered for late places.

One annoying thing is that in 2018 section 11.2 requires 8 min grades 7 or 6, but some practical subjects will still be on old A*-E basis which appears to no longer counted for entry.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Snowdaddy wrote:I rarely come on here nowadays (my DD is in year 10) which means she starts Sixth form in 2018

Her year is the first of the 150 pupils, the year above (and earlier years) are only 120 pupils

I have observed that the 2017 admission is 140-150 girls, but 2018 admission is 150-170 girls, therefore seems they are cutting external applicants for sixth form (as was potentially 30 places, plus more if some TGS year 11 decide to go elsewhere)

Section 11.3 used to say (2017 version) guarantees minimum of 20 and more places may be available depending on choices.... Its now just a minimum 20 (the word guarantee has gone, and the references to more have gone)

There is a table of how many applied and got in (section 13) in the 2017 admissions document, but this section has been deleted completely from 2018 draft (new section 13 used to be section 14 so is renumbered.

There is a new section 18 which seems to allow a form of clearing for those who turn up in person on the day after exam results, with results printout, to be considered for late places.

One annoying thing is that in 2018 section 11.2 requires 8 min grades 7 or 6, but some practical subjects will still be on old A*-E basis which appears to no longer counted for entry.
Apologies, I haven't actually read the document, but does is specifically say that the 'legacy' subjects can't be counted? Presumably for this year, they are having to cope with most subjects still being A* - G but a couple already having changed. (Apart from the college, all the sixth form places DD has applied for have a points system based on 'best 8', with A* to B being converted to 8, 7, 6 / 3, 2, 1 or whatever, plus a minimum grade requirement for English and Maths and the individual A Level subjects) . Could it just be an oversight?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

ToadMum wrote:
Snowdaddy wrote:I rarely come on here nowadays (my DD is in year 10) which means she starts Sixth form in 2018

Apologies, I haven't actually read the document, but does is specifically say that the 'legacy' subjects can't be counted? Presumably for this year, they are having to cope with most subjects still being A* - G but a couple already having changed. (Apart from the college, all the sixth form places DD has applied for have a points system based on 'best 8', with A* to B being converted to 8, 7, 6 / 3, 2, 1 or whatever, plus a minimum grade requirement for English and Maths and the individual A Level subjects) . Could it just be an oversight?
Probably an oversight, but as worded on the published draft version, grades have to be a numeric grade, there is no provision to accept a letter equivalent as valid.

Some subjects (DT, art etc) are still being graded A*-E in 2018 but this appears to have been forgotten when drafting the admissions rules.

My point is, as worded, the min 8 subjects need numeric grades. If there was an appeal then the strict wording would be applied.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Probably an oversight. Could legacy subjects be given a numerical equivalence?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:Probably an oversight. Could legacy subjects be given a numerical equivalence?
See my post above re our local schools :D . If ours can manage it, I'm sure others can.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now