Tiffin School (boys) - 2017 outcome

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

raisingkids

Re: Tiffin School (boys) - 2017 outcome

Post by raisingkids »

I agree Tiffinboys. It depends on the child, what they are really interested in, what the school can offer, Co-ed vs. single etc. I think to commute more that an hour door to door is too much for year 7. I know kids do it, but it takes it's toll in other ways.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Talking of commute, hard to beat Slough to Kingston.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

raisingkids wrote:streathammum- Didn't I see on this post or another one that your DS got into Graveney? My DD is there in extension and it is a fantastic school. Our DS liked Tiffin more, but I would have been happy for him to join his sister. Equally, I don't think you can go wrong between SGS or Graveney. They are both excellent with nice kids. Well done to your son for getting in.
Thank you :D

Yes we are in the fortunate position of having an offer at Graveney and potentially having been able to get to Sutton GS. I think my son would be happy at either - the decision has been really difficult.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:Talking of commute, hard to beat Slough to Kingston.
Sadly, I can think of at least one worse journey bring planned for a new year 7 in another area of the forum this year :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
newbie14

Post by newbie14 »

We haven't gone for the nearest gs..which happens to be Tiffins! Ds2 got 116...but we opted for a grammar which our eldest goes to and we are delighted with! It is a 35 minute single bus commute but the kids catch up on h/w on the bus etc. While distance is important...agree with tiffinboys. For us, the school pastoral care, school ethos,school head, our experience of the school and extracurricular interests of our child dictated our choice. Hope we made the right choice!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

newbie14 wrote:We haven't gone for the nearest gs..which happens to be Tiffins! Ds2 got 116...but we opted for a grammar which our eldest goes to and we are delighted with! It is a 35 minute single bus commute but the kids catch up on h/w on the bus etc. While distance is important...agree with tiffinboys. For us, the school pastoral care, school ethos,school head, our experience of the school and extracurricular interests of our child dictated our choice. Hope we made the right choice!
Seriously, one, uncomplicated bus journey of just over half an hour is not the kind of thing to which I was alluding :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sen123

Post by sen123 »

We have accepted our first choice but the headmistress at Tiffins advised us that to go on their waiting list we need to inform our local authority first. Is this the normal procedure? Many thanks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sen123 wrote:We have accepted our first choice but the headmistress at Tiffins advised us that to go on their waiting list we need to inform our local authority first. Is this the normal procedure? Many thanks.
It's called the coordinated admissions scheme, so yes, you would normally go through your own LA. Particularly where you want to go on the waiting list for a school you originally ranked below the one you were allocated, as you are now making an alteration to your preferences / submitting a late application for the lower ranked school ('your' place there evaporated as soon as your LA was able to offer you one higher up on your list).
dad17

Post by dad17 »

Has anyone got second set of offers after the initial offer day? Or any update on the waiting list? Tiffin Girls seems to have started offering and also given an update on their Waiting list.
Well Done

Post by Well Done »

dad17 wrote:Has anyone got second set of offers after the initial offer day? Or any update on the waiting list? Tiffin Girls seems to have started offering and also given an update on their Waiting list.
Just received e-mail form TB.
DS is number 10 on the waiting list as of now. He scored 103 and we live in the TW7 area. It says the next time the school will contact parents regarding the waiting list will be mid-May.
Good luck to all those parents waiting to hear and well done to those who get the news they have been waiting for.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now