Wilsons September 2018-Any one interested travel F Hounslow?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CSB

Re: Wilsons September 2018-Any one interested travel F Houns

Post by CSB »

let’s show some empathy.I think that’s the purpose of this forum.
We should certainly show some empathy for the child. It's not a daily journey I would wish on anyone. I really hope they find a work around, and I did not intend to sound nasty or judgemental, so I apologise for that. However, the fact is that their 'situation' is they have named a school on the other side of London on the CAF when their sibling already attends a local secondary school. It's a situation that they have created, and not one that was thrust upon them. There are comparable schools much closer, but the grass is always greener and all that. The child may well be desperate to attend Wilson's but someone must have planted that idea, encouraged him, and taken him to the open day. Let's hope there are 7 others in the same predicament who can share the transport, and that it works out OK.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A post from last year on the subject of the timings of the school day at Wilson's:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 18#p613482

quote="Moon unit"]I drive past Wilson's every morning at about 7.30 ( don't drop my son off though as that would be too embarrassing).
Loads of boys are arriving at that time.
Not sure what time the canteen opens but they can get bacon butties before school.
Note to new parents at Wilson's. Boys must not be late. If they are they very quickly get detentions. It's one of the things they are very,very strict on.[/quote]

So leave (very) early to beat the rush?

I have no personal knowledge of the school, I I admit. But it is possible that although there is no catchment area, it is assumed that anyone who decides to apply for a place there has factored in the need for their DS to get to school in good time every day, whatever the logistics of their journey.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

According to the TFL web site the journey can be done in 1hr 30minutes using public transport
RAC says an hour but not sure if that takes in to account rush hour
The other option is to see if you can find a family where your DS can board Monday night through to Thursday night and come back on weekends
CSB

Post by CSB »

The Lamp Post wrote:According to the TFL web site the journey can be done in 1hr 30minutes using public transport
RAC says an hour but not sure if that takes in to account rush hour
The other option is to see if you can find a family where your DS can board Monday night through to Thursday night and come back on weekends
If you go to GoogleMaps you can put in the required arrival time on a weekday and will give you the usual range of journey times for that time of day. It's looking around 2 hours depending on where you are starting in Hounslow. I live near Wilson's and drive the opposite way to work in the morning towards the M25 and there is always a long queue of traffic coming off the M25 at the junction you will take onto the M23 towards Coulsdon. Perhaps do a trial run soon on a weekday morning to gauge how feasible this will be. Public transport may be unreliable, especially if you're using Southern Rail. The journey on public transport looks as though you can avoid Southern but it still involves 3 changes, which could be daunting for an 11 year old travelling in new territory at rush hour.
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

Yes just checked Google maps only consistant form of channel is cycling 1 hour 36mins whatever time you leave
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Lamp Post wrote:Yes just checked Google maps only consistant form of channel is cycling 1 hour 36mins whatever time you leave
Does Wilson's have a bike shed?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hopefulgardener

Post by Hopefulgardener »

The Lamp Post’s suggestion of weekly boarding with a local family seems a much kinder solution. I am not local to Wilson’s but there are many families around us who host international students. Perhaps, google ‘homestay Wallington’. Good luck!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Out of sheer nosiness I have just put the journey into Google maps. Hounslow station to Wilson's is currently (at 7.50am, fastest journey) 42 miles via the M3 & M25, taking 1 hour 15 minutes. The more direct routes are slower. I have no idea if this is longer or shorter than usual, but 42 miles each way is a very long commute every day, with plenty of potential for being late. If you are lift sharing I don't know how staying late for a detention would work?
scary mum
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

Another solution is to live on two houses - one parent with the older child stays in Hounslow, another one rents an apartment near Wilson's and stays there with the younger one during weekdays. But question is - does Wilson's worth it? I do not believe that there are no good schools in Hounslow.... Probably Wilson's is considered to be "cool", but that's not the only one school who provides an excellent education. My son travels about 45-50 mins to school (one bus) and I think it is too much.

PS: And yes, traffic in the morning in Wallington and surroundings is horrible :shock:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote: If you are lift sharing I don't know how staying late for a detention would work?
Probably not an issue, as the entire carload would have been late together, one assumes?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now