Stage 2 Wilsons/SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Stage 2 Wilsons/SGS

Post by scary mum »

It also puts a lot of pressure on the student. What if he doesn't like the school and wants to move. I know of plenty of people that has happened to. I agree with the previous poster - move if that's what you want but you probably won't get much sympathy on here if you complain about the timeline of having to move!
scary mum
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

I think the competition has turned everyone up a little, I think it isnt nice when you judge other people even they didnt do anything out of the rule. Its wrong when you got the fake address to get a place in local comp/state primary or you moved only for a place then later moved out once you have a place. If the family could move and make it work, its much better than someone who lives at the border of the address and takes an hour or more to get to the school(Eg. Tiffin has 10 miles catchment, we live in Richmond and it takes us 35 mins door to do 3 miles away from the school, I cant imagine someone who lives 10 miles away, it must be hard if there is no direct train/bus, its better moving closer. But I wont judge them or have any problem. What give some of you public right to soread the hatred and find it is alright to do that and being nasty/not nice to parents who consider to move only because they prioritise their children education for their children, especially you must do too thats why you try/tried.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most people apply to local schools and many posters are long past the 11+. It is very sad for a child to move in Year 6 and move away from friends however 'good' the school. I do not believe there are many places in this country without at least one good local school. We see many posters saying this and when we look schools up we find there is but it doesn't have the magic word 'Grammar' in its title.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

Thats right if you dont want to move then thats ok. Thats also right that grammar isnt it, it is only a start. That is ok if the grammar rule says only certain children living at this catchment allowed to apply(even before taking the test) because they are selective and they can set their own rule. Thats wrong when you judge and making other parents feeling horrible because they have prioritise their children education. My friends son is very happy as he could now walk to the school in 5 mins. Yes, they havent thought of their second child secondary school yet. Yes, they could change their mind and move both of them to private in few years time. They are happy now. There is nothing sad about it at all. I find this attitude is although very sad.
CSB

Post by CSB »

Littlebird wrote:That is ok if the grammar rule says only certain children living at this catchment allowed to apply(even before taking the test) because they are selective and they can set their own rule.
Remember the vast majority of state schools in the country, selective or otherwise, have distance criteria in their admissions policy. It's in the best interests of the children and of the school community as a whole. A school day doesn't start and end with the school bell. There's a lot more that goes on outside these hours and living too far from the school prevents the children from benefiting from these and also prevents parents from taking an active part in the school.

Absolutely nothing wrong with prioritising your child's education and moving closer to the school that you've earmarked as the right one for your child. I think what causes frustration on this forum is the common thought process that leads to a conclusion that the school must be a grammar school to be any good - it's pretty flawed.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

We target Indie and for Indie schools you dont usually live next door and there is no catchment requirement. Why it isnt wrong? Grammar is only another type of selective, the free type. I am sure as private school parents you might get praise to move closer to the school. If so there shouldnt even grammar schools, only private and state. Speaking of local non selective state schools, many highly sought after schools have family who rent only to be able to have a place, to live nearby for a year then later move much further out of the original catchment once having a place. Is it better than parents who have a place first then move closer. Ofcourse many of us wouldnt do it, it involves cost of moving especially stamp duty. Still, I prefer my children friends move closer to school rather than someone who qualified for catchment but actually the travelling is very painful and time consuming on daily basis. To be honest, any more than 5 miles could definitely take longer than 45mins door to door at rush hour and it is a LOT of travelling for 7 years.
CSB

Post by CSB »

Littlebird wrote:If so there shouldnt even grammar schools, only private and state.
Many would agree with this!
Littlebird wrote:Speaking of local non selective state schools, many highly sought after schools have family who rent only to be able to have a place, to live nearby for a year then later move much further out of the original catchment once having a place.
You're right, it's a cut-throat business for some parents at sought-after state schools too.

We have one child in GS and one in non-selective state school. The non-selective school has class sizes of 24, a fantastically innovative approach to teaching, motivated staff, and stacks of extra curricular opportunities. We can see already that they're both going to have the opportunity and support to achieve whatever they set their sights on.
CSB

Post by CSB »

CSB wrote:We have one child in GS and one in non-selective state school. The non-selective school has class sizes of 24, a fantastically innovative approach to teaching, motivated staff, and stacks of extra curricular opportunities. We can see already that they're both going to have the opportunity and support to achieve whatever they set their sights on.
And my point here, which I didn't make very well, was that on the face of it the league tables will show that the non-selective school isn't as 'good', when in practice the most academic kids will have an equal chance of achieving a string of A* or 9's in either school, and both schools also provide opportunities for their development in the less measurable ways that are just as important as grades.

And the fact that both can walk to their schools and not have to endure a tiring commute is definitely going to help them. Whether you apply to a local school or whether you subsequently move closer - I think this is so important.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Grammar schools ARE state schools.
VBusybee

Post by VBusybee »

VBusybee wrote:
GS Exams wrote:Now starts the waiting time for the results. We know the results on 19th but then onlt ion March 1st we know concrete answer. Not knowing the scores is so annoying in the sense we have no idea how brighter are the chances. I keep telling my DS don’t worry now that the exams are over but he has worked so hard and is curious to know if that is going to get him the school he wants to join!
Yes, can’t agree more. Its frustrating as in my case we don’t know if we will move and if we do then where are we going?
You can not research the area and don’t know which pockets are good. After 1st March it will be manic rush and you just have to take whatever in terms of house is available:(
Oh! My God! What’s wrong with people? A small statement of mine has been blown out of proportion. Let me be clear, a public forum will be last place to look for sympathy, as someone inferred from my statement. Yes, my statement (moving the whole family) made someone chuckle and someone found it cruel, however it all depends on the perspective.
Also, completely agree with Littlebird line of thinking. Its upto individual families to decide on their priorities.
Last but not the least, I am sure all the parents on the forum are here definitely looking to do the best for their children!!
Lets just relax and calm down a bit, enjoy the memories of hard work you and your child have put in for last couple of years, while waiting for the results.
Good luck everyone!!!

The end is niegh!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now