Possible commute from Ilford/Gantshill/around to WILSON

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oneoftwothings

Re: Possible commute from Ilford/Gantshill/around to WILSON

Post by Oneoftwothings »

MordenDad wrote:
Oneoftwothings wrote:
MordenDad wrote:Wilson's parens:

Are there actually children from far North London addending Wilson's?

:shock:
It is not uncommon for boys to travel around an hour each way, but this journey would not be sustainable or pleasant.
I've checked that route on my google navigation [school run times] 1:38h-1:45h + some contingency minutes ~2h each way.
Oh yes I agree - I looked too. I just meant that up to an hour (which I already consider too long to be honest) is considered normal. This is much longer and not normal. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

OP, did your DS not get a place at ICHS? Or did you seriously put a school involving a four hour round trip each day higher up on your CAF than the grammar school practically on your doorstep?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It’s not feasible.
Not even remotely so.
BTW it is Wilson’s school not Wilson.
CSB

Post by CSB »

Try the trip during rush hour with your son and see if he still wants to go to that school.
This is one of the things that put us off Wilson's - we wondered whether our son would be able to see his mates outside school because we felt many of them would be travelling a long way from home.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I had to take my parents to a funeral recently. The service was about 10 minutes' drive nearer my home than Wilson's. I drove through Ilford to get there and again on the way home (we left at 4pm). It was the most miserable drive. It took over 1 3/4 hours to get to Ilford and my dh, who drives that way regularly, said that we had a day with surprisingly light traffic. I can't imagine what would possess anyone to think that that was a possible commute.
Macaroon2

Post by Macaroon2 »

I am actually quite flabbergasted that any parent would willingly submit their child to this form of commuting torture. It is clearly tantamount to child abuse, and the parents should feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

loobylou wrote:I had to take my parents to a funeral recently. The service was about 10 minutes' drive nearer my home than Wilson's. I drove through Ilford to get there and again on the way home (we left at 4pm). It was the most miserable drive. It took over 1 3/4 hours to get to Ilford and my dh, who drives that way regularly, said that we had a day with surprisingly light traffic. I can't imagine what would possess anyone to think that that was a possible commute.
According to the opening post, at least four people have decided that it is a suitable journey for their DSs to take :(.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Broomleigh

Post by Broomleigh »

ToadMum wrote:OP, did your DS not get a place at ICHS? Or did you seriously put a school involving a four hour round trip each day higher up on your CAF than the grammar school practically on your doorstep?
Oh, but ICHS is only 21st in the Times Top 200, not 2nd :roll: .

Sometimes these league tables (or rather, how some parents respond to them) have a lot to answer for. Wilson's will be trying to slip down a few places in the next few years (though if they have many boys doing a 2 hr commute, they certainly will anyway).
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

A new kind of torture!

Please reconsider Ilford County or other local school. Alternatively, please relocate.

I think Wilson’s should also consider an outer catchment of 10-12 km to stop such horrendous commutes.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
saurish09

Post by saurish09 »

Thanks for all your inputs. I am against it too, but want to be sure - before completely ruling it out.