Wilsons/Sutton 2nd Stage Exam pattern

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: Wilsons/Sutton 2nd Stage Exam pattern

Post by mad? »

TAJ001 wrote: Is it just a gamble or can we get a confirmation for guaranteed entry before buying or renting a house in Sutton? as well
There is no such things as guaranteed entry until offer day. The system was not designed with those who are shopping around for schools outside of their area in mind. If you are considering relocation anywhere ensure that you have fully understood the admissions policies of the schools concerned, particularly in terms of what constitutes relocation and when it has to be done by.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

TAJ001 wrote:If they are not going to release scores then how can one decide for relocation. Is it just a gamble or can we get a confirmation for guaranteed entry before buying or renting a house in Sutton?

I assume they will send pass emails to anyone over cutoff marks which will include those who are just above the line but not offered a place.

Same query would apply for Wellington as well
No-one is being offered a place at any school at this point in the process. The schools will not know yet who will actually apply for a place and you cannot be offered a place unless you apply for it (except in the case of those who list no 'offerable' preferences, whose LA will offer them their nearest undersubscribed school).

(X-posted with mad? :). Who may not have had washing out and noticed the wrt stuff dripping from the sky mid-post).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
TAJ001

Post by TAJ001 »

Sorry but I should have asked differently. You guys misunderstood it.

My query was -
When we will receive result from 2nd stage, are we going to know scores for Wallington/ Wilson/ Sutton? One of my friend said that 4 years ago they moved to Sutton once they were 100% sure about the offer.

Take example of QE
I know the score now which can easily be interpreted as chances of getting a offer (still non guarantee) but it is not any more a gamle and it will be a calculative move if I opt-out QE from CAF and choose a comprehensive instead.

If my son is at border line of wilson/Wellington, I will stop thinking of Sutton and choose a grammer school from Slough even though that school is not in top100 but at least there will be a hope.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Why not chose a school where you believe your son would be happy? I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in school results. Chose somewhere nearby where you don't have to uproot your family. Your son will probably do just as well wherever he goes. These schools aren't a magic bullet.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

scary mum wrote:Why not chose a school where you believe your son would be happy? I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in school results. Chose somewhere nearby where you don't have to uproot your family. Your son will probably do just as well wherever he goes. These schools aren't a magic bullet.
This^^^&
mad?
TAJ001

Post by TAJ001 »

Can we have logical and educative discussion rather than preaching? If I don't know the answer I do not answer.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm sorry if I have caused upset TAJ001. It is just that you have been asking questions that have already been answered. The advice to choose a school that is right for your DC comes from those who have had DC go through secondary school and have the hindsight to know how important this is. It is well intentioned and sound advice. You may choose to ignore it which of course is your choice. Equally, several posters have spent their Sunday afternoons pointing you in the direction of the information you seek and a thank you would not go amiss. I wish you good luck with your DC's scores and hope that the situation becomes clearer for you in due course.
mad?
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

It's not Wellington, it's Wallington....

Boys grammar in Sutton do not release scores (Girls grammars do release scores), only "eligible" or "not eligible"
TAJ001

Post by TAJ001 »

mad? wrote:I'm sorry if I have caused upset TAJ001. It is just that you have been asking questions that have already been answered. The advice to choose a school that is right for your DC comes from those who have had DC go through secondary school and have the hindsight to know how important this is. It is well intentioned and sound advice. You may choose to ignore it which of course is your choice. Equally, several posters have spent their Sunday afternoons pointing you in the direction of the information you seek and a thank you would not go amiss. I wish you good luck with your DC's scores and hope that the situation becomes clearer for you in due course.
No issues.

I just joined this forum today and expecting some kind of information which may be a link of a previous discussion you guys already had. I know it could be boring to discuss again.

I will myself also search if I can figure out how people take decisions and fill CAF for Sutton schools without knowing score. I know that Bucks, Berks, QE release scores so I was wondering how do people take decisions for Sutton schools specially those who are not in catchment.

I saw on AE booklet to make sure QE/Sutton are on TOP of CAF. Now understood it after reading again that they meant to not put comprehensive over QE. (Which is obvious)
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

TAJ001 wrote:Sorry but I should have asked differently. You guys misunderstood it.

My query was -
When we will receive result from 2nd stage, are we going to know scores for Wallington/ Wilson/ Sutton? One of my friend said that 4 years ago they moved to Sutton once they were 100% sure about the offer.

Take example of QE
I know the score now which can easily be interpreted as chances of getting a offer (still non guarantee) but it is not any more a gamle and it will be a calculative move if I opt-out QE from CAF and choose a comprehensive instead.

If my son is at border line of wilson/Wellington, I will stop thinking of Sutton and choose a grammer school from Slough even though that school is not in top100 but at least there will be a hope.
To answer your query- its a gamble till National Offer day. One can never be sure just on basis of score or even pass/ fail as there is no way to assess the cohort. Usually folks who have relocation decisions to make have followed the approach of ranking the CAF as per their preference and then hold on till September next year as Waiting List movement is active as late as September. Slough, Barnet, Sutton - if thats the range of your application then whatever you want the idea is to rank them in CAF first and wait. Do not make any decisions just on past year standardized scores for any school. One can never be sure just how many students have same score and what is their CAF preference.