Westminster School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I haven't received it - try again and if not I'll send you one and you can reply to mine. :)
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

[quote="ealingmum"]Of course Euan didn't get into Oxford... though Nicky did. 50%?[/quote]

Euan did not have Richard to coach him - Nicky did. Richard could get a manic-depressive vole into Oxbridge.
solimum

Post by solimum »

huntlie wrote: Richard could get a manic-depressive vole into Oxbridge.
Goodness - I hope there are not too many of them there now throwing themselves off bridges or my son's summer punting might prove somewhat hazardous....
naxa

Post by naxa »

My friends daughter goes to the sixth form at Westminster. The teaching is phenomenal, however, socially it is known to be quite druggy and fast. Certainly makes some of the other london leading independents (where most of her previous school friends are) look rather provincial and staid in terms of the out of school activities.
Would not be my choice, but perhaps ok at the younger years.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Naxa, do you feel this way because it is a boys school and your DD is at a girls school. Also interested to know what you mean by "fast".

If you are right then this is disappointing. I thought Westminster would be more akin to the other well-known public schools and the other London boys schools would have been the way you described Westminster.

Anyone out there in defense of Westy?
Thea

Post by Thea »

We were put off it because Giles Coren, an insufferable snob went there and mentions it in everything i have ever read of his...
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Not sure thats a goo reason for us, every school has an insufferable snob! :lol:
another mother

Post by another mother »

There is also a fairly strong rumour (ie several sources - no corroborating evidence!) that the boys rank the girls coming into the sixth form in a fairly traditional/unpleasant way. This may well of course be the same as other leading public schools! :roll:

That said I know a number of strong and clever girls who've gone there for sixth form and been happy and successful.

Tipsy - am trying again -will reply to yours!
naxa

Post by naxa »

Another mother - yes the ranking still happens I'm told: "dag or slag" are the categories applied - which are very similar to those when I was at 6th form in London :o

Tipsy - I used to date Westminster boys (long long ago now!) and from what I can see I don't think they've changed much. So my view will be coloured by personal experience, but I have been rather disappointed from what I have heard from my friends DD.
Having said that, I would consider sending my DS to Westminster up until GCSE (but would not consider it for sixth form) but I prefer mixed schools for boys.
another mother

Post by another mother »

Naxa - UMM! definitely pause for thought!

I have to say I dated two - back in the mists of time- both possibly atypical as they chose careers that left them poor as church mice and were deeply moral and left leaning - but (less atypical!?!) it did take them a long time to form meaningful relationships (neither with me!) though they have got there in the end.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now