How many hours of tutoring

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
andrewfd

How many hours of tutoring

Post by andrewfd »

I'm wondering how many hours of private tutoring people give their kids to prepare for 11+ tests?

I've heard of some people doing 2 years of tutoring, so maybe thats 60 sessions of an hour but I've also heard of people doing none and simply doing a couple of practise papers in advance.

What is your actual experience and what have you seen (first hand)?
salsa

Re: How many hours of tutoring

Post by salsa »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post.
There is a very similar discussion on this thread, perhaps you'll be interested in following it.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =5&t=49352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Please also remember that you're on a Forum that's full of people for whom the 11+ is important enough to spend time on a Forum... There are still many families with children who do not do the type of tutoring that's assumed 'normal' on here and still get into good independent schools and grammars - but perhaps you're not likely to find them on here!
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

for my own child, we did an average of 1 hr a day in years 4 & 5 leading to tests in the start of year 6. The year 4 and half way into year 5 was mainly bond and then we started doing random tests from all other areas from books and independent schools in years 5 and the summer holidays. Keep it varied and this helps with technique. This is a very personal choice. I also tutor other kids for free and do the same regime with great results every year. Remember the motto of this site, ''Head for Success', it doesn't state how as that is down to little jonny at the end of the day.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Warks mum wrote:Please also remember that you're on a Forum that's full of people for whom the 11+ is important enough to spend time on a Forum... There are still many families with children who do not do the type of tutoring that's assumed 'normal' on here and still get into good independent schools and grammars - but perhaps you're not likely to find them on here!
It's okay, one of us at least doesn't find it normal. I always wonder why people have so little faith in the ability of their offspring whilst at the same time apparently believing that the most appropriate secondary school for them is one designed to suit the needs of the most able?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1......!!!! Wish there was an applause emoticon!
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

It would depend what your primary school is doing, and if it is a prep school what schools they recommend, i.e. how selective. Usually prep schools will also say that there is no need for extra tutoring as it would be an admission of their failing to prepare your child adequately, but you would be wise to ignore that. In west London the competition is very high, particularly for boys, for example Latymer upper school has twice as many boys applying than girls and they offer 50% boys. I think it is worth preparing with extra tutoring according to the weaknesses of your child as well. One hour a day seems extreme to me though.