Is Habs an ideal school for my son?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

I know, I couldn't believe it either.
This came directly from the mum of one of my son's friends. The boy involved went to prep school with my son's friend. The reason they chose St. Albans was because they already had an older son there apparently. The bereaved mum doesn't want to remove her son from the school as she doesn't want to cause any more upheaval for the poor boy.
I had always known they were very academic but this really shocked me!
To compare this to my son's school (dramatically less academic)- recently a parent with 2 children was widowed and they have waived the fees for the remainder of their time at the school.
Which is more important - academic excellence or a school that cares for its pupils?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

After hearing that HABS sounds fantastic. This is the problem with the schools in this area in particular. They are all competing to be the best and losing site of the most important thing - the children! :x
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hear! Hear!
imaginefriendly

Post by imaginefriendly »

zorro wrote:I would recommend MT but avoid St. Alban's. It is extremely academic and pastoral care is very low on the list of priorities. I know someone who recently lost her husband to cancer. The school called her in to complain that her son's grades had dropped (what a surprise when his dad had just died :cry: ). She explained this to the Head and his response was "I'm not interested, I am running a school not a charity"!!! :shock:
I have a feeling your friend has just got slightly angry from them calling in. My son just did the MTS paper - he really found it easy yeat challenging. Habs is also brilliant!
vas

Post by vas »

Imaginefriendly I have sent you a pm.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now