Some really expensive schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Often pass Giggleswick school.

There is a local family called Lords, so one of the school cricket grounds is.... yes LORDS!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:boys at Winchester finish at 9:30pm
thats really a long day in addition to saturday school, thats just one of the few bits about indies that concern me a bit. I dont want DD to spend all her time doing school...In that case boarding will seem like a better option at least there wont be travel to add.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think that is the point - to discourage them from being day boys, currently only a handful. On the upside the holidays are very long: 10 weeks in summer, 4 weeks Easter and Winter, 3 half terms, and 2 four day holidays a term as well. Hardly ever there! :roll:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hermanmanster,
Sorry to be going completely off topic here, but that wouldn't be the Lords near Clitheroe would it? I used to play with a Tim and David Lord when we stayed with our cousins in the summer?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Quite likely! there are lots in the area around Settle - suspect they spread across the Forest of Bowland too.
zorro

Post by zorro »

9.30pm finish!! :shock: And I thought DS's indie finished late at 5.30pm!
Freya

Post by Freya »

sherry_d - To reassure you a bit about the long hours and Saturdays: My DS doesn't finish school until 7:15pm during the week but when he comes home he has had his tea and has done all his prep (homework). He then has the rest of the evening to do what he wants and spend time with us. The timetable includes 2 (free) activities such as riding, climbing, fencing, golf or art / music clubs so this is like kids going to activities out of school.

If we wanted we could collect DS at 5:00pm but he would have to do his prep at home. He prefers to do prep at school though because they have tutors supervising prep who can help if he is stuck.

Saturday school finishes at about 3:30pm but most of the day is sport. Even though he is very sporty, DS moaned about this for the first couple of months but now sees it as normal and enjoys the day.

Hope that gave you a bit more insight! I worried about these things myself before DS started his school.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
zorro

Post by zorro »

Freya, that seems quite late although the fact that he has already done his prep is good. If he finishes at 7.15, what time does he actually get home?
Freya

Post by Freya »

zorro - He gets home by 7:30pm as we are pretty close to the school in an area with little traffic.

When he was at primary we often both didn't get home until that time anyway due to me taking him for after school activities. He would do school sporting clubs from 3:20pm until 4:45pm most days then at least three times a week he would go almost straight to county training / matches for rugby / hockey. He would then have to do his homework when we got home!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS finishes at 5.30 but it takes him nearly an hour on the coach to get home. He then has to do prep a couple of days a week. The other days they get some time at the end of the day to do it. He is also like your DS , they have activities 3 days a week for the last 2 hrs of the afternoon.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now