The letter arrived......

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Oh Pretty Woman,
I have just caught up on this thread. :( I am so sorry for you that what you feel you want for your child appears out of your reach.
Can I offer some teeny tiny crumbs of cold comfort?

Re the bullying.I have known many children bullied at primary who find that the bigger pond of secondary diminishes the power of their bullies.You can also talk to a year 7 progress manager and he/ she will make sure that your child is not placed in a form group with them.

I know it isn't quite the same thing but for a while my 2nd looked like she was going to the local comp.In that time, just under a month, we sold the school so well, that when her first choice was re -presented to her...she didn't want it.

I would love for things to work out for you.Perhaps they will, some way may be found but I am sure you will think very, very carefully before committing yourself.I have a friend who just had to withdraw their son in year 9.It isn't a disaster, he will survive but in your case, with another waiting in the wings, it is a serious commitment.

Wishing you so much the best Pretty Woman and hoping a Richard Gere type figure in the guise of a bank manager or relative may yet turn up to rescue the situation.

If he doesn't , then the odds are still in favour of your son and with a committed and caring mum like you, his outlook is bright - really!
best wishes
CM
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Once again, thank you for all the support.

I hadn't thought about the dilution factor of the bullies and that is quite logical. With regard to the possible alternative, it hasn't reached its maximum admission number for the last couple of years so I'm assuming we could probably approach that school. It is a much smaller comprensive, about 450 pupils and may suit my son better. It is in a rural location and it would mean a bit of travelling but even if I couldn't do the school run for whatever reason a taxi is not going to be anywhere near the level of indie fee's.

I do want to be able to accept the place at the indie because I know that is where he will be happy. Now, does anybody think Richard Gere reads this forum? Richard Branson, maybe? I'm not greedy - I just want the best for my son :(

If the politicians read this forum and saw what we all go through at this time of year would they do anything about it? :x
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Well, I have spent the weekend analysing bank accounts, earnings, outgoings etc etc.

The good news is it looks like we will be able to accept the place :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bad news is how much I was spending a month without realising it :oops: :oops: :oops:

Once I put it all in to a spreadsheet and start adding the numbers up I felt quite sick. I am now not spending anything without putting it in to the spreadsheet and that alone is enough of a deterrent :lol:

DH even went to uniform shop today to get the costs for uniform, how much :shock:

Feeling slightly more relaxed now, going to send our acceptance and deposit.

:D REALLY BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHO HAS FOLLOWED THIS THREAD! :D
I used to be plain, but when I married Mr Pretty I became PrettyWoman and now have 2 Pretty children!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh WOW!!
I can't tell you how much I hoped that you might make it happen with a bit of tweaking!
I'm so pleased for you! Well done!!
:lol:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I knew you would do it PrettyWoman :D

Well done
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Fantastic news, PrettyWoman! I'm so pleased for you all and hope that PrettyBoy loves his new school. :D :D :D :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Just spotted this one and very glad it has all worked out for you and your DS, Pretty Woman :D .

As an aside we are having a two week caravan holiday in the south of France this year. The only outlay will be travel down (not Ferry crossings, they are included) and expenses when we get there ( food etc). All paid for by a certain loyalty card 8) .
Freya

Post by Freya »

Have been following your thread and felt desperate for you! So glad you have found a way for your boy! He will feel so happy going to his new school!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Thank you everybody!

Think I know the loyalty card you are talking about :wink:

We have looked at taking our van across to France, their sites are lovely and the weather is usually better. Have to start using a certain supermarket more, every little helps :lol:
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

So the school was right? Or just mean?