Habs Girls - Elstree

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Loads

Post by Loads »

Yes - disagree to some extent :wink:.
The ranking above is based on personal preferences as well as perceived academics. In addition to academics, many parents also rank these high performing schools against each other using additional criteria eg pastoral care, distance, reputation, cultural mix etc.

Like Surfcrazy, I also know of 2 separate cases where both girls got offers at Habs Girls, and neither girls got offers from St Albans nor HBS, in addition, one also failed to get a place at South Hampstead.

Therefore it must be borne in mind that schools are looking at different criteria, as can be seen by their different methods of interviews. eg Habs, NCLS & SHHS have one-to-one interviews only (with some also including parent interviews as well), while St Albans have a group task where the girls are paired up in teams to assess how they work together as well as being interviewed. Also HBS, being a state grammar school and therefore not allowed to interview, don't consider the child's personality, linguistic or social interaction whatsoever.

Some interesting points have been rasied so far, but there are various other Threads that have already discussed / are discussing the comparisons of these various schools :). Just a gentle reminder, and to get back on track, this Thread was to try to find out what has happened with Habs Girls this year..... :wink:
fairydust2010

Post by fairydust2010 »

can someone link me to the threads you mention please?
fairydust2010

Post by fairydust2010 »

"I assume the girls academic pecking order to start with St Pauls and NLCS and City and HBS and then a slight step down to Habs and then another step down to St Albans, and Channing. Anyone disagree with this?"

Is st albans really a step down from Habs? Also is HBS - henrietta barmet and is this really considered better then Habs?
Loads

Post by Loads »

Fairydust,

As requested, please see Thread link below (you were also a contributor on that thread.... :? ). It might be better to continue the schools comparison discussion on that thread. :wink:

Subject : Habs Girls....or.... St Albans Girls High School.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=13022
there are various other Threads that have already discussed / are discussing the comparisons of these various schools :). Just a gentle reminder, and to get back on track, this Thread was to try to find out what has happened with Habs Girls this year.....
:wink:
Pledges

Re: Habs Girls - Elstree

Post by Pledges »

Strewth !! So it is true ! I had heard this thru the grapevine but doubted it.

Habs Girls will have SEVEN (7) classes this year with around 175 girls !!
Our DD got a place and is due to start in Sept but the school have not informed us of this unexpected change this year (not surprisingly) :evil: . One of the things we liked about the school was that it is big enough - but not like a MASSIVE comp. An extra 50-75 gilrs in one year is a different kettle of fish here !

If we are going to pay those sorts of fees then we expect some degree of exclusivity. Time to rethink our options...... :evil:
Last edited by Pledges on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I don't blame you! My son's year at a nearby indie school has 3 classes of 20 (60 in total)
175 is really huge. What is the total number of girls in the whole school?
Pledges

Post by Pledges »

Not sure how many in the whole school but they usually have around 4 or 5 classes in each year ie about 100 - 125 in each year.
This year there will be about 175 for the first time ever (ie between 50 - 75 more girls than they ususally have in Year 7).
fairydust2010

Post by fairydust2010 »

How are they planning to accommodate them all? is the building big enough? Enough extra classrooms? Why the huge jump in numbers?
Pledges

Re: Too many acceptances at Habs girls

Post by Pledges »

Daogroupie wrote:.....Habs girls had way too many of their offered places taken up and so now have to honour them and find themselves having to have seven classes.
Fairydust - the above quote (on Page 1) explains why the huge jump in numbers has happened this year..... :o
huntlie

Re:

Post by huntlie »

fairydust2010 wrote:"I assume the girls academic pecking order to start with St Pauls and NLCS and City and HBS and then a slight step down to Habs and then another step down to St Albans, and Channing. Anyone disagree with this?"

Is st albans really a step down from Habs? Also is HBS - henrietta barmet and is this really considered better then Habs?
What aboit Lady Eleanor Holles? Surely more than a step or two up from Channing and St Albans!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now